Camshaft install & timing set

-

stryker63

Reaction score
Hello,

I am building my first engine - a 0.030 over 5.2L Magnum and have a question.

When installing the timing set (Mopar Performance double-roller), are there any additional considerations other than insuring that the dots line up on the crank and cam sprockets? They appear to go on only one way but the #1 piston does not appear to be at TDC when the timing marks are aligned.

Additionally, how critical is degreeing the cam? Should it be done with cylinder heads on or off?

Any help for this life-long Mopar fan but novice builder would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The number one piston must be at TDC when aligning the marks. The cam can be degreed with the heads on but its's much easier with the heads off, plus it's easier to find true TDC although it can be done with a piston stop.

Is it critical? I'd say it is, but that's me.

Nowadays degreeing a cam is a must IMO. I've degreed in several and you wouldn't believe how far some have been off. I did one for a buddies 454. Comp roller cam and a Cloyes gear drive. It was 8 degrees off. Ended up being the gear drive was cut wrong. I've seen timing chain's indexed wrong too. As Ramcharger said the #1 piston MUST be at TDC when the dots are lined up. If not there's a problem.

-
Back