Can 8 1/4" rearends be made into street performance pieces?

-

bwhitejr

Reaction score
Can 8 1/4" rearends be made into street performance pieces?

After surveying the prices of a 8 3/4" with the proper 4 1/2" BC. I have concluded it may be cheaper and still get the job done with an 8 1/4". I am building my 360 Street Duster and want to know if a 8 1/4" is adequate.

bwhitejr

depnds on what you mean...how much HP you pushing. I had bee told and now believe that for anything UNDER the 450 HP range and NON racing applications it will work just fine. Ive FIRST HAND seen a guy with a rebuilt(stock rebuild just updating the internals/gears) with a 435 HP(engine dynoed) SB 340 run his for 5 years now without a hitch and that DOES include a few street strip trips(1-3 a year times at the strip NOT weekly) just for fun...his is a 4 speed car also. So take that for what its worth. I dont race so i wont WASTE the $$$ for a 8 3/4 just not worth the extra cost.

They came in A-bodies as the street performance axle when it replaced the 8.75 in the early 70's.

sure properly rebuilt and with a suregrip instaled they will survive alot!
mine has survived a pretty hot 340 for a few years now without any complaints, and this is on sticky street tires and alot of night time action

-
Back