can an A-body tow?

-
Boy something sure had her panties in a wad. No wonder she only made it to 25 post before being banned.

she didnt hear what she wanted to hear .....usually ppl can ask different ppl till they get the answer that are looking for....or they can just do what they already made up their minds to do and avoid a fight. :D:D

OR ...the wise option ....the one im going with ...is accept that what you wanted to do may not be the best idea and listen to ppl who have more experience than you :sign7:

Here is a fact, my father in law was thinking of buying a 2010 caravan earlier this year. I told him I don't know if its Meant to tow his boat with that. He has a 21f boat, nothing big.

He said, " oh it's fine, they have a trailer hitch I can add on"

My response was " that doesn't make it legal, they sell hitches for anything, call the dealer ( that was selli g the van ) and ask"

So he called....

Dealer said it was not legal due to its manufactured rating!!!

In short, you can put a hitch on anything... You can get insurance for anything... If your actual insurance doesn't jive with the vehicles it is insured for, and something happens ( accident) your hooped.

I see families towing boats all the time with a mini van. Doesn't make it right, same thing with a car towing a car.

I said Trailer Towing Package. It was a real option that wasn't just "a hitch".

For example, a 68 Barracuda.

The Trailer Towing Package gave you:

• Maximum Cooling System
• High-Capacity Radiator
• Heavy-Duity Suspension
• Larger Brakes
• Heavy-Duity Turn Signal Flasher
• Heavy-Duity Stop Light Switch
• Performance Axle (3.23)

It was a coded option package. Even with the Tow Package, you couldn't tow much, maximum of 2000 pounds.

That's about 2000 pounds more than I would tow with one. lol

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1968/68_Barracuda0029.jpg

Yes you can tow with an Abody but I would say another car is pushing it. Lots of minivans are rated to tow a camper or a boat. There is nothing wrong with that. Our Kia is set up to tow 3000 pounds but normally we only pull 1500. I also have a crew cab duramax so it gets the heavy loads. Abodies are built tougher then a minivan, on modern tires with a frame mounted hitch it will tow 3000 pounds too.

I just looked it up or Kia is rated to tow 3500 pounds

Last time I commented to a girl about towing her Subaru behind a 66 Cuda from California to North Carolina I got the nastiest message I ever received here on FABO!! So, I'm out on this one!!!

I'd do it with the wagon though!!!

lol i wonder if she made it? i remember that!

I'm actually thinking about putting a hitch in my wagon to tow a small text trailer for camping or towing a small boat to the lake. I wouldn't tow anything too big though. Lol

Rani, that's a pretty stout hitch you have set up there by the looks of it. Is that on your dart?

I didn't want it to break, it was overkill, but fun to make! I believe these cars can tow, even if it's a simple 'T' bolted to the frame rails. Although I'd hope for at least a wrap around the rail and a couple bolts through some holes on the sides, maybe a couple beads on the front and back. :)

I towed a tandem axle trailer with about 7k# on it from southern OK to NE with a D200 crew cab that was already loaded with a 4k# slide in camper and about 1000# of books, My truck had a 225 with around 300,000 miles on it and an automatic. My average mpg for the whole 600+ miles was 11 and I ran 65-70 mph. Yes it is a truck, but the 225 can handle the load if the vehicle is up to it.

she didnt hear what she wanted to hear .....usually ppl can ask different ppl till they get the answer that are looking for....or they can just do what they already made up their minds to do and avoid a fight. :D:D

OR ...the wise option ....the one im going with ...is accept that what you wanted to do may not be the best idea and listen to ppl who have more experience than you :sign7:
I used to be like that, accept I wasn't a phsyco b$%ch about it. Over time though I realized then when someone who has worked on these cars longer than I have been alive gives me sound advice, I better take it with gratefullness and scribe it on a golden sheet then encase it in a silver picture frame before hanging it on the ceiling over my bed so that its the first thing I read each morning when I awake.

Glad I didn't see that thread.
Me too, I would have got myself banned right along with her.

lol i wonder if she made it? i remember that!
Honestly? Hopefully not cause a little bit of my soul dies when I remember that nature allows people like her to multiply.

-
Back