Can any Dallas FABO members help a guy out??

-

dustUoff

Reaction score
I'm having some ignition problems with my 71 duster 360. Is there any Dallas members that know a good mechanic I can just talk with to bounce ideas off of? Or if there are any FABO members around here that want to help a guy out?? I need some help diagnosing my problem!

Try posting your problem on here.. I'm sure someone will chime in.

ok, well I'm having problems getting spark. I've got power to the coil, which is brand new, but I can't seem to get any spark to the distributor. I've got an electronic ignition module, mallory distributor, and MSD coil. This is really my first build so I just don't really know what other relays or whatever I should be checking.

ok, well I'm having problems getting spark. I've got power to the coil, which is brand new, but I can't seem to get any spark to the distributor. I've got an electronic ignition module, mallory distributor, and MSD coil. This is really my first build so I just don't really know what other relays or whatever I should be checking.

OK, folks, let's see what we can do to help him out. I'll start, but I think we could use a little more info...

Was the car ever running before now, or is this a ground-up build?
If it was previously running, what all was changed prior to its failure?
If it's a new build, have you checked continuity of the wiring between the coil and the distributor?
Do you really mean spark "to" the distributor from the coil, or do you mean spark "from" the distributor to the plugs?
You said the coil is new, but are the ECU and distributor also new?
Make darn sure you have a very good chassis ground.

Maybe this will get a few of our resident gurus awake.

Well, let's start with the obvious. Is there a rotor in the distributor? Is there a high tension lead from the tower on the coil to the center tower on the distributor cap? I've actually forgotten to install those once or twice. What type of ignition module do you have? Is it designed to work with the Mallory distributor? What type of pickup is in the distributor or does it use points? Is the coil designed for 12V or 6V? Are you running a ballast resistor? Must have data.

Ok guys, thanks for the all the ideas! So, I was messing with it today and figured out I had my coil ground wrong, so I fixed that and what do you know it worked! Funny how stuff works when you hook it up right :headbang:. Anyway, so now i've got good spark to all the plugs. So here's my next problem! I can get the engine to sputter slightly and shake a little like a few of the cylinders are firing and it wants to start, but can't get the dang thing to just RUN! Sounds like my timing right? Sorry here's more details: This was a running 360 when I bought it, drove it for a while and decided I wanted a little more umph. So I tore down the engine and replaced the pistons with High compression KB's. Other than that I haven't touched anything, and never got into the cam or anything. The Mallory dizzy has a Unilite Electronic ignition module which is new, plugs, wires, and rotor are all new as well. Would fouled plugs keep it from firing up? Thanks!

As you know, for internal combustion engines to run, they need fuel, fire, and air. You have fire now. Have you checked your fuel system (good flow to the carb)? For air, check to see that the carb isn't being choked.

-
Back