Can Anyone Identify These Buckets?

-

sumbitmopar

Reaction score
These are for sale locally and the guy has no idea what they came out of.

seats.jpg

the look really similar to 70 challenger buckets.

thumbnail.aspx

I agree, they look similar to 70 Challenger seats. If they are 70-71 E, B-Body seats they will have hard plastic backs with seperate potmetal hinge covers. The 72 B-Body seats have hard backs with integrated hinge covers.

Joe

These do have the hard plastic backs but I'm not sure about the hinge covers. Will they bolt in a 70 Duster?

You will most likely have to make new holes. From what I see I dont think thoes tracks on them are original to the seats correct me if im wrong.

the upper part doesnt look correct to be mopar,to narrow and the head rest is different,,,im going to say ford torino or AMC,,

Those are hard to ID with the upholstery that`s been covered. It looks like there`s a shadow of wide vertical pleats on them which looks a lot like the seats in a 73 Duster. The E body seats usually had more narrow pleats, some were horizontal. The B bodies that first used high backs (around 70) had relatively smooth upholstery. How about some larger, closer photos? Can you find out what`s under the lower 1/2 of the back and the bottoms and we might be able to get a better ID on those for you? I think Johnnydart used some E-body seats in his Dart and just changed the tracks and upholstery.

Tag on bottom of seat reads ' 3447470 B CADIZ 13-6-69 '. I suppose that would indicate they were in a 1970 something. Didn't Chrysler have an parts assembly plant in Cadiz, Ohio? I can't get any other pics. Thanks for the help!

Those look very close to my buckets. The same shape, but it looks like someone tried to recover the seats. Mine were from a Plymouth Volare Roadrunner. It think the year was maybe 76. Ill get a picture up here in a minute.

Sorry for the bad example of my theory. But after looking closer, it looks like a different seat after all.

seat.jpg

seat.jpg

They are definitely not out of a Ford Torino. They used the same seats as the Mustangs. AMC and Jeep CJ as well as Mopars used the same seats like you show in the picture. 1970 hinge covers were a stand alones with the cover not attached to the back hard cover while 1971-72 were part (attached) of the back cover. The 1970 was prone to breaking off so the 1971 and later were 'improved' version. In 1973 they went to a 'soft' upholstered back that was part of the seat cover top and did away with the hard shelled back. The one pictured would look correct for your Duster unless you're building a numbers matching original show car. Mopar used these same seats in all A, B, E (not familiar with C's but I'm sure they used them) bodied cars starting in 1970.
If you could locate A-body seat brackets then its a bolt-in. Just drill two new holes on the inside tracks. You will have to re-enforce the floor on the inner mounts with sheet metal. I've seen these pieces for sale on E-bay. The factory just tack welded them in. Good luck on the seat brackets since not too many A-bodies came with bucket seats. They may be hard to locate as well as pricey.

At least with 71 B-Body buckets, I know for sure they had hard backs with seperate potmetal hinge covers. The plastic 1 piece backs began in 72.

Joe

Thanks for all the info guys. sure wish I could find some Duster seats! These dang things look so familiar but I just can't place them. Javelin maybe?

-
Back