can BB car 727 be installed in 4x4 w factory 360?

-

Rice Nuker

Let the Coal Roll!
Reaction score
So, can a person take the front half of a BB 727 car trans and mix-n-match parts to get it to bolt up to the transfer case of a ramcharger that came with a 360?

So if I have a 87 360 ramcharger and get a 440 and a 727 from a car, can I make lemonade or do I need more parts?

I guess there are some transfer cases which are separate or together with the trans?? This one is an 87 so probably transmission and transfer case are together?

I need to build a 440 4x4 with exhaust pipe sticking thru the hood at some point in my life so I can properly drive thru the woods.

Thx!

can BB car 727 be installed in 4x4 w factory 360?

The bb tranny will not bolt up to your 360. Parts of the tranny could be used with a 4x4 if you was using the bb engine but you would need more 4x4 specific parts to make it fit to the transfer case.

You can change guts from a BB 727 to a SB 727 but the cases are not interchangeable, since the engines do not share the same bellhousing bolt pattern.

:) I am aware that BB and SB have different engine to transmission - BoltPattern.

Here is my question.

Can I take a car BB 727 front half (minus the tail housing and tail shaft)...

Take the guts, (tail shaft and what ever) out of the 360 4x4 truck transmission and make me a 440 4x4 setup?

So, can I merge parts to make a BB 4x4 setup?

Yes, this should work - just make sure you have the right length mainshaft and correct spacer/coupling for between the tranny and input shaft on the t-case. Tranny cases are the same. I did something similar a few years ago but I had a 4WD truck tranny with a married NP203. My tranny guy used the case and guts along with the mainshaft out of a newer TF727. I married a NP205 to it.

Got it! Thanks folks :) Helps with the buying decision options when the right 4x4 deal comes along, most the time they are 318 or 360, but I have a 440 w steel crank I would want to put in there (for the apocalypse). .

Got it! Thanks folks :) Helps with the buying decision options when the right 4x4 deal comes along, most the time they are 318 or 360, but I have a 440 w steel crank I would want to put in there (for the apocalypse). .

Start building your gasoline storage shed now.
Dont forget 3/4 ton axles.
Ramchargers are cool, I had a 77 daily driver on 44" tires in college.
Could not break the SOB with common sense.

We will leave the MPG discussions to the pirus forums :burnout:

.......................NOOOOO u cannot.........the transfer case adapter will not bolt up to a car bb 727, u need a bb truck 4x4 tranny............u can switch the guts from 1 case to the other as long as there car/car or truck 4x4/ truck 4x4 ..........................kim..........

.......................NOOOOO u cannot.........the transfer case adapter will not bolt up to a car bb 727, u need a bb truck 4x4 tranny............u can switch the guts from 1 case to the other as long as there car/car or truck 4x4/ truck 4x4 ..........................kim..........

Old kim is right.
I had a rough time finding a case 25 years ago..mine was cracked.
I got lucky the trans guy could not find one, the guy I bought the truck off of had a spare laying in the field...old farmer.
72 and up BB truck parts are gold prices, be prepared to pay.

Try to find BB truck 4-speed parts............good luck

Oh, so.... I have to use a BB 4x4 transmission regardless?
I cannot use half a BB car trans and bolt it to the back half of a SB 4x4 transmission?

I've done this a few times in the past. YES it can be done. Since motor home 727 are easy to come by, I have used the output shaft and used the trans to transfer case tail housing. and have made a 4x4 trans out of car 727's and motor home 727's. Let those who say it can't be done say what they will. I've done it successfully.

OK.

So, the whole trans from a BB motorhome excluding the tail shaft housing will essentially hook into / bolt to the transfer case of a 4x4 housing?

I've done this a few times in the past. YES it can be done. Since motor home 727 are easy to come by, I have used the output shaft and used the trans to transfer case tail housing. and have made a 4x4 trans out of car 727's and motor home 727's. Let those who say it can't be done say what they will. I've done it successfully.

I'm doing this same swap right now on my 79 trail duster...motor home 440/727.so far looks like its going to work like a charm.I had to use all the 4 x 4 guts...main shaft,planataries,the works.the motor home trans had the 4 planatary set up but the splines were a tad different so I had to use the 3 gear set that was in my 318 trans.

I've already put a car main&tail shaft in the sb 727 case..worked fine.

if you have a bb car 727 and a sb 4x4 727 I think you have no problems.just swap all the guts and tail shaft housings.

mike

OK.

So, the whole trans from a BB motorhome excluding the tail shaft housing will essentially hook into / bolt to the transfer case of a 4x4 housing?

No you have to use the output shaft from the 4x4 trans and the tail shaft housing from the 4x4 trans on the BB trans.

....UPDATE...........Well today while Steve and I were out checking out a mopar junk yard we came across a sb 4x4 tranny that had an adapter and a transfer case attached to it and dam it appeared to be a car tranny........SO I guess I
learned something new today..........KIM........

....UPDATE...........Well today while Steve and I were out checking out a mopar junk yard we came across a sb 4x4 tranny that had an adapter and a transfer case attached to it and dam it appeared to be a car tranny........SO I guess I
learned something new today..........KIM........

That's because a 727 is 727, it doesn't matter if it came out of a 4x4, a car, a truck, a motorhome or a school bus.

There are no "Car" or "Truck" 727's, the only difference is the Tailshaft & Housing, which swap over between any type of 727.

Here's one I built for my D50, using the 727 from my '74 Duster, with the Tailshaft & Housing from an AMC (Jeep) 727 to convert it to a Short Tail 4WD 727 (shorter than a Dodge 4WD 727)

-
Back