can/has it been done?? home made headliner...

-
Thanks for this thread j par. You are my inspiration for making one myself. We are putting together a budget build '72 Scamp for my oldest son. Originally a bow/ cloth headliner. Also bought a '74 Duster for youngest boy, and after seeing the "one" piece design, we decided to build one for Scamp. So, no real template for Scamp, originally a bow type, but after seeing what you did, we are going to make it happen. Bought a 4' x 8' sheet of material that I've used to make several package trays out of, to start things. As soon as we get done with applying the POR 15, headliner is next. Wish us luck !

Thanks for this thread j par. You are my inspiration for making one myself. We are putting together a budget build '72 Scamp for my oldest son. Originally a bow/ cloth headliner. Also bought a '74 Duster for youngest boy, and after seeing the "one" piece design, we decided to build one for Scamp. So, no real template for Scamp, originally a bow type, but after seeing what you did, we are going to make it happen. Bought a 4' x 8' sheet of material that I've used to make several package trays out of, to start things. As soon as we get done with applying the POR 15, headliner is next. Wish us luck !
Maybe you can try taping together a template made out of cardboard? Just to give yourself some parameters for when you cut your final material...
Just a thought...
Also Make sure you quote me directly like you did so I get a notification or use the @j par to get me quoted in and I'll help anyway I can...

j par, you did a great job on this. I'm a pro upholsterer in Australia and that's a good effort for a guy just having a go! The main thing I'd have done to improve it would have been to fibreglass over the joints from the backside of the liner. But it's holding up as is so that's the main thing. I often tell people to have a go at these things. The worst that can happen is you'll have to start again if it doesn't work! Here's my home made liner for my Aussie 1967 Dodge ute. Yet to be covered but as it's still under construction I'll wait to cover it until the ute's finished! I made the original liner in a spare roof turret, made a mould from that, then the finished product which is only two layers of thin fibreglass. But that's around 250 hours work!!

162.JPG

j par, you did a great job on this. I'm a pro upholsterer in Australia and that's a good effort for a guy just having a go! The main thing I'd have done to improve it would have been to fibreglass over the joints from the backside of the liner. But it's holding up as is so that's the main thing. I often tell people to have a go at these things. The worst that can happen is you'll have to start again if it doesn't work! Here's my home made liner for my Aussie 1967 Dodge ute. Yet to be covered but as it's still under construction I'll wait to cover it until the ute's finished! I made the original liner in a spare roof turret, made a mould from that, then the finished product which is only two layers of thin fibreglass. But that's around 250 hours work!!

View attachment 1715973024
Yes that looks very professional!... I didn't use fiberglass but in post 48 you can see where I use some weather straps every so often to keep things from falling apart. Also I felt the material on the face side would kind of keep things together as well... And yes it's holding up just the other day I was driving the car and I kind of ran my hand around the roof and gave myself a little smile as everything still seemed nice and tight... It's been almost 5 years...

Maybe you can try taping together a template made out of cardboard? Just to give yourself some parameters for when you cut your final material...
Just a thought...
Also Make sure you quote me directly like you did so I get a notification or use the @j par to get me quoted in and I'll help anyway I can...

Yes, making a template of cardboard was the way we WERE going to go, BUT.........over the weekend I went to a guy's place, who I met at the Mopar Nats. He lives about five miles from me. While looking for some other stuff, I saw a headliner sitting in his rafters about thirty feet above us. He says " Yeah, that's an old black headliner out of a Dart" !! Forty bucks later, it's in the bed of my truck ! I think I can salvage it pretty easily ( couple corners frayed, dirty). Classic Industries sells the sail panels, so just have to figure out how to attach everything. Now just have to repair the one I have for '74 Duster, and we are good. I like the fiberglass idea from other gentleman. Have done a good bit of fiberglassing redoing an old Bass boat.

-
Back