can I do this and how

-

rudmover

Reaction score
OK I've done the search thing and I think its possible but before I commit to these wheels I was hoping someone could give me a yay or nay. I have a pair of 15" x8.5" wheels for the rear of my car (68 barracuda fastback) that I really like the style of. The back spacing measures 3 1/4. I found a set of matching wheels for the front that are 7.5 wide with the same backspace that I planned to run but a buddy of mine found a complete set of the same wheels all 8.5 inches that I'd prefer to run. these are a really deep dished 40 finned turbine style wheel. I will be running discs all around with the doba 11 3/4 up front. I have been told that a 73 -76 k member with the swaybar runnin through the k member will be necessary. I don't know if that is true but I like the idea of spool mounts (have a mildly built 340)anyway. So what do you think? I'm open to all comments constructive or not I'd just like some insight from you more experienced a body mopar fanatics.

besides using later model parts, whats the benefit of the later k-member in this application?

I have read that at full lock the tires may rub the sway bar on the earlier style I am not sure if this is true but it does appear that there would be more clearance with the later style. I would also point out that the mounting points (Bushed) seem to be farther out on the bar with the later K member I think this gives a bit better leverage along with the shorter length after the bend in the bar.

If you run 73+ spindles with an early sway bar, the lower control arm sway bar tabs keep the spindle from turning very sharply. The spindle will hit the tabs. I have done it, and needed to grind the tabs in order to increase the turning radius.

If you can easily get your hand on a later K-member and sway bar setup, it might be an easier way to go. I had 17" wheels, so I don't know about wheel contact. I doubt it, though with 15" wheels and only 3.25 offset.

I would be concerned with running an 8.5" wheel on the front with only 3.25" backspacing. That wheel is gonna want to stick out from under the fender.

This is a picture of my 67 Dart that had 7" wide wheels, with 3.75" backspacing, and the same brakes you're talking about.. The wheels you describe would stick out 2" farther than this. I know a Dart and a Barracuda don't have the same fender, but it would be similar.

Attachments

• Picture 009Small.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 127
that was what I thought, I think the 7.5 inch wheels I have will work but I guess it was wishful thinking on the 8.5's up front.

-
Back