Can I fit a 8" wide wheels on a 67 Dart?

-

rod

Reaction score
I know I can fit a 15x7 wheel with 4.25 or 4.5 backspacing on all four wheels but say I wanted to bump it up or saw a good deal on some 8" wheels. If I wanted to fit a set of 15x8 wheels on the entire car- of course the backspacing is the most important but I've read so much of this I'm not sure what's best. 4.5 might be a bit too little. From what I've read- it seems that 4 5/8 , 4 3/4 or 5" is best. Any feedback would be appreciated.

You are stuck with 7" on the front, IMHO. 7" wheel for the front should have around 4.50" backspacing. 215 or 225 tire. Anything bigger and you will be rubbing somewhere. This is assuming stock brakes.

IMHO 8" will work on the back, but you are still limited to a 235 or maybe a 245 tire. You want 4.75" to 5.00" backspacing on 8" wheels. Anything bigger and you will be rubbing somewhere. This is assuming stock brakes, stock rear end, and stock springs.

I am being conservative here. And yes there are many ways to squeeze bigger wheels/tires than this on your car, but I personally don't like modifying the body or suspension just for another 10mm of tire width.

I have 245's BFG Comp II's on the rear with a 17x8 rim but these were a custom order. They fit well but I measured 100 time before I pulled the trigger.
Now I have have LBP front an rear. My rear have 11x2 drum that widened the rear track and 73-up front discs that also widen the front track. Somewhere on this site I posed the backspacing I ordered. My rear springs are in the stock location too, but my inner fenders are rolled.

So it will work but the backspacing is key. Measure, Measure, and Measure again. An extra rim to measure with on the car helps, or get a Percy's wheel rite.

Your best bet is get out a tape measure to be sure. After checking what others have done and a lot of measuring, I was able to squeeze in a 255-60-15 M/T drag radial on the back of my 68 dart, SS springs with 4.25 back spacing, with no rubbing issues. Some guys had that same set up not work and some did.

Attachments

• dart new tires.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 292
Your best bet is get out a tape measure to be sure. After checking what others have done and a lot of measuring, I was able to squeeze in a 255-60-15 M/T drag radial on the back of my 68 dart, SS springs with 4.25 back spacing, with no rubbing issues. Some guys had that same set up not work and some did.

4.25" on a 7" wheel, correct? I can see how that might work on some cars. They were not all put together the same though. I could never get anywhere near that on my '69 GTS.

-
Back