Can I put a 96 5.2 block in my 68 Fish?

-

jimfish

Reaction score
Hey guys, Sorry for the repost to start with. (I can't be the only one) I came on here to see if any one can direct me. I have only the time to post this and get back to work. I have my hook into a 96 5.2 from a guy that says it will fit into my 68 Formula S. Without getting into more details right now I have everything ready to go on my Cuda but I am running out of time. I need a running engine by first snow fall here in Fort Collins Co.
The Engine is guaranteed to run. Problem is I will have a weekend to get it in/fix any fit problems and can't afford to make a Rooky mistake > Measure twice and cut once < I measured the motor mounts and they are close enough to want to get a better/another opinion. If some one could tell me if the block will fit.. into a 68 barracuda with stock Kmember and as a bonus.. if my TTIs will fit ok Once I grind down the Nubby on the driver's side. I will look again tomorrow when I get time and search, if no one can inform but.. It might be sold by then. It is a good deal. Thanks in advance.

It will fit, same dimentions as a 318. You will need a different intake manifold though if you plan on keeping it carborated, intake bolt angles are different. You will also need an electric fuel pump, no fuel pump acentric on the cam.

Thanks Rockerdude! (cool name BTW)
I actually did not find any other info on this site in regard to this type of swap?? I can't believe no one else has done this or asked about it. I do suck at searches but something should have turned up. Well.. I think I will go ahead with this 96 5.2. I will work on my 340 over the winter and hope the 5.2 holds up. Oh, Yes, I already have an electric pump in it and, the motor for sale has a manifold. I'm gonna swap the manifold for a different one though. It is an airgap and I will be driving it through the winter here in Fort Collins Colorado. I need a non air gap if any one wants to trade. I don't want to go too far with this motor (bunch of mods) as I will just be selling it in the summer next year and put my 340 back in.

So, this thread may sit for a while. I hope I find someone that can/wants to contribute. I will update in the late spring. I bought a 92 Dakota LE with a 5.2 and 140K. It seems to be solid, though I may have to replace the Idle Air Control Motor (IAC) (some weirdness with the Idle at times) Any way, I will drive it during the winter here and do my research. I will do the transplant in the late spring. I will also do a forward or talk to a moderator to have this thread moved to a more suited place. Thanks for all your views. Add info if you have it.
Cheers

Before changing the IAC, just take it off and clean it really well with some spray throttle body cleaner. They were prone to getting clogged and causing strange idle issues.

-
Back