Can I test the radio?

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
I'm wanting to test the AM radio on my 65 Valiant. The light comes on but no sound or buzzing. Right now I don't have an antenna hooked up to it so I don't know if it makes a difference. The wiring is hooked up right but I haven't tested anything yet. I remember we tested it out of the car to see if it worked. We used a speaker and an old coat hanger and it worked clear. It's got two wires to plug into the harness and two wires going to the speaker. I've got a new aftermarket replacement speaker. I'm debating on whether to buy the expensive and hard to find original antenna or a $10 universal replacement at the parts store that even looks very similar in appearance to the original just so I can get it working. Now this is the only accessory that doesn't work. Of course from other posts you'll notice my wipers work but aren't adjusted. I'm just trying to get everything functioning on the car.

You need an antenna. The two wire plug is traditionally red and orange, orange being the light. You get any "thump" in the speaker when turning it on or hooking up power?

ANY length of wire that will contact the center pin of the antenna plug should pick up something, at least static and electrical buzz

I'll probably just go with a universal antenna to get it working. I need to see what's getting power or not. Only the indicator light lights up now. It's a pretty simple circuit. Not much to it. Maybe the fuse is bad, because it's an old fuse. I think it's a weird AMP, like 2 or 5 amp. Does it matter if you put in a 5 amp if it's a 2 amp fuse? I'm pretty sure it's something weird like that so that's why I went with the original old fuse. I'm assuming it gets it's ground from the bracket on the back of the dash. Because the threaded nuts on the knobs hold the plastic face plate on. I'll do some checking this week. I was looking in my 65 Chrysler parts manual and they actually show an AM-FM radio model 372 part # 2661687. Does anyone know if that is like a super rare radio? I'm not sure if I've ever seen one. And it is only for the Valiant. I have the model 222 which is the AM only radio which is what I've seen in all 65 Plymouths I've ever looked at.

I was looking in my 65 Chrysler parts manual and they actually show an AM-FM radio model 372 part # 2661687. Does anyone know if that is like a super rare radio? I'm not sure if I've ever seen one. And it is only for the Valiant. I have the model 222 which is the AM only radio which is what I've seen in all 65 Plymouths I've ever looked at.

FWIW, the 66 Dart GT I restored had the AM/FM radio. (The car was built in LA in Aug 65. Date code on the radio was May 1965, IIRC) The radio is monaural and was a dealer installed option per the owners manual. There was also a rear seat speaker with fader dealer option, too. There was a window in the center of the dial that indicated AM or FM band in use. To select the band, rotate the ring behind the tuning knob.

Oddly enough the owners manual recommended a different height for the antenna for each band. No in-car adjustment of the antenna was offered. (Go figure. "Gotta pull over hon so we can switch over to FM." )

The radio did not have a make specific trim as the AM radios did. It was a black background with the band calibrations in white. I have seen a few of these at car shows, but not many. I'd call it hard-to-find, but not super rare.

Chrysler also offered a reverb unit in 1965 that I have only seen and heard once. It was in a New Yorker six-window sedan.

Being an occassional driver when it's finished I'll be ok with the original to the model AM radio. I added a new aftermarket 6x9 in the dash and I'll get a new antenna. I've got another AM radio but I think it came out of a 65 Coronet or Fury but it's still an AM too. Do I need a ignition coil capacitor? In the accessory section of the 65 repair manual under Interference Elimination it shows a condenser like capacitor installed through one of the coil mounting bolts. It states that "The high tension circuit of the engine ignition system uses radio resistance wire as standard equipment. The balance of the suppression equipment is installed as follows: Install the ignition coil capacitor, as shown in Figure 4. NOTE: The alternator is equipped with an internal capacitor which is integral with the output stud. Install the thermal gauge suppression capacitor on the back of the instrument cluster." Now all that was kinda confusing to me. What do they mean the balance of the suppression equipment? If the alternator has in internal one and there is one on the back of the instrument cluster should I still use this one on the coil? Because I don't have one and don't show a part number for one.

-
Back