Can I use a 1.5mm tip with this?

-

Andre68

Reaction score
So, ive been sanding for a while now and I just want to get all my ducks in a row here. I have the paint for my car already. I want to paint my hood flat black. So I bought the TCP Global Hot Rodz Flatz black paint. The tech sheet asks for a 1.4mm tip, but my spray gun has a 1.5mm tip.

Will my 1.5mm tip work fine?

[ame]http://www.tcpglobal.com/Customshop/psheets/071706HRFP.pdf[/ame]

heres the tech sheet link

I'll throw my .02 in the ring - though I'm a little reluctant since anyone who's done any painting thinks they're right and everyone else's way is wrong. I don't claim to be an expert, but do speak from my own experience.

For starters, I think you'll be fine with a 1.5 tip.

As far as the Flatz go or other "Hot Rod Black" finishes, they can be tricky to do without ending with splotchiness here or there (and I'm not talking about dry edges). Even the pros I have talked to get mixed results sometimes. Some of it has to do with temperature and reducers. It's gotta go on wet and stay wet for a bit. From my oberservation, if the hood has begun to dry in places before you finish, there's a good chance it will have some blotchiness when it dries.

I define blotchiness as areas that appear a little more glossy or flatter than others.

Also, remember, if you spray it laying flat and any trash gets in it, you'll either have to live with the trash or sand and redo it. However, if you hang the hood vertically you won't have the horizontal surface area to contend with - though you will have to worry more about runs.

Also, a smaller tip will atomize the paint more and help it lay out flatter. I think you will be fine too, but you may need to increase air pressure a hair more to help with the atomiztion.

1mm=a little over 1/32nd inch. I would bet that after spraying a couple shots the thickness of the paint will make that hole smaller. Practice a little on some cardboard and see if you are happy with the spray pattern.

-
Back