Can I use a earlier bumper on my 74 Duster?

-
I did this swap, the front was no different on mine. I put a 73 on, it was exactly the same but when I did the swap i removed all the extra supports from it and just mounted it directly to the brackets.

The rear was a little harder. You will need the early style, I used brackets and bumpers from a 71 duster. Basically I just mounted the brackets to the bumper and had help to line it up to the car. I then clamped the brackets in place and marked holes to drill. You will most likely only get 1/2 the holes.

On mine I have to weld up the holes where the old shock style mounts went. I was not worried about this though because I know I will get to this when i do the body work on the car. Plus I wouldn't try to use a bumper jack on it, you would probably rip the bumper off the car.

You will have a small gap on the sides because the edge of the quarter panel is flat starting in 74. Over all though most people will never notice and it will look 100 times better

why not just drill a hole and drain the fluid from the bumper shocks then drill a few more holes to plug weld the cylinder once the bumper is placed in the desired position from the body.
Then no money is spent on new bumpers and brackets...

-
Back