Can I use same driveshaft??

-

67DARTGTCONV

Reaction score
I was lucky enought to source a 83/4 with a 489 center. I am going to put on a 67 Dart with that has a 71/4. Do I have to do anything with the orginal driveshaft. Is it a bolt up?

Thanks

They could be the same u-joint, it will either be a 7260 (small joint) or a 7290 (large joint) There are a few 1330 yokes out there that are off of c-bodies but you don't see them very often. I would bet your driveline has a 7260 and it is a good chance that your 8 3/4 does also. But is it doesn't there is a u-joint available that will adapt a small joint to a large joint.

Chuck

The 7.25 axle has 2.5" tubes and the 8.75 axle has 3" tubes so you will need new u-bolts and either new shoke mount plates or elongate the holes in the ones you have (I elongated the holes and have had no issues in 20k+ miles.

Thanks for the responses.

Rather than cut the driveshaft can I simply move back the rear end and center the wheel in the wheel opening? I have 360, 904. SS springs

THanks

I dont know if you could move it back 2 1/4" without the diff cover rubbing on the gas tank, wont hurt to check, just keep it in mind. You will also be changing how the shock mount studs/shocks fit together, just another thing to check out. Fortunatly you can reverse all this if it doesnt work out.

There is a hole drilled through the spring stack with a bolt that holds the spring stack together, that also acts as a locator for the axle. To move the axle you will need to add another hole and bolt. Depending on how much you move the axle the old hole may be exposed to the flexing the spring goes through and fracture not to mention the changes in spring action.

For the $75 or so to have a drive shaft cut, balanced an new u-joints installed i wouldn't hack up the spring set.

You don't want to drill a new hole in the spring, drill a new hole in perch in front of the original it would be much easier. You won't get 2.25" but you could get about an 1" - 1.5".

Heres something else you could do but your yoke will hang out .75" more out of the trans. Being your Dart has a 111" wheel base you could use a Barracuda/Valiant driveline being they have a wheel base of 108" which is 3" shorter.

Chuck

-
Back