can i use this converter

-

gotdust57@yahoo

Reaction score
i am having my 73-360 rebuilt with 904 trans,it will have about 340hp, and i think i am going to have to use my stock converter until funds get better, will that converter hurt anything or is it ok to use for now? thanks

It won't "hurt" anything per say. What determines what stall speed you need is the power range of your engine. What is the duration at .050 on your cam? If it's 220 degrees or higher you might have a car that's a pig off the line and not want to idle in gear good with the stock converter. That's about the worst of it.

if i move up to a 2200 stall will that be of any help, its alot cheaper than a 2500, and how much is stock converter stall so to speak? thanks

A 2200 should make a good improvement. That's what I had in my Cuda and my cam was pretty good size and it worked decent. Stock stall varies but it's mostly in the neighborhood of 1600-1800.

Converter size and stall depends alot on what your cam spec is along with the cars weight, gear ratio, carb size, intake style and intended use.

SO

Asking us anything more than you did can not be answered. If you do not surpply any info, your on your own with this. We can not even guess at this point.

motor is being rebuilt as we speak, just mild cam with edlebrock 4 barrel intake and hooker headers, pertronix ignitor 2 with flame thrower coil and 8.75 rear end and will have about 340hp i am guessing and will be used for street use no drag racing, just trying to have the hp if i want it, always had 318 and now just wanted more hp. thanks

OK, errrrrr;

Whats tha cam specs
what intake manifold
what size carb

From your "In general" relaxed approach to it, and I'll take the word mello far, a stock converter can be used to approx. 218 duration on the cam. Most times, a 220 duration @ .050 will need some stall to have the engine operste well.

Rumble's right, getting the correct converter for the application can make a huge difference in your finished product...even in street use only form. It can turn your car from just a so so performer to a tire burning machine to impress yourself and friends. Worth the time(research) and money to do it right the first time if youve got the $.
Your stock converter will be O.K., but but it just may take the "heart" out of that 360 on the low end.

not trying to take mellow approach i do not know cam specs yet the motor is being rebuilt right now, i will get all the specs when he is done, i am just trying to get info on converter hoping that at the very least i can get away with 2200 stall because of price difference compared to 2500, budget is running low due to everytime you try to build something there are always unexpected costs, as i stated above i am going to have a edlebrock alum performer intake with 600 or 650 4 barrel carb, with hooker headers, pertronix 2 ignitor distributer and flame thrower coil, with mild cam and was told it would be about 340HP, as far as cam specs and duration i simply dont know until i get info from builder, just hoping a 2200 stall will work due to money running out on project as i am on disibility and have limited funds. thanks

-
Back