Can Line Lock start slipping?

-

jimmyray

Reaction score
I have a 73 Duster, front disk rear drum, that I bought with a line lock installed on the front discs just under the Master Cylinder.

When I first got the car, the line lock was disconnected, so of course I remedied that immeditatly. Now, if I press the brakes (hard), and engage the line lock, it will hold untill I start revving the engine, then it wants to creep forward. A couple of times I found that if I pumped the brake peddle, it would hold better.

Pumping is usually an indication of air in the lines, so I bled the front brakes, and still have the same issue. I can think of 3 root causes:

1. Air still in front lines
2. Line lock is not holding the locks, it is leaking slowly.
3. Air in the rear lines. I don't know if thios would cause the problem, but then again I'm not sure.

When I press the brakes hard, the rears will lock before the fronts, so that seems to negate root cause #3 above.

Thoughts?

By stepping on the brake and the rears locking before the fronts it makes me think the regulated pressure is higher to the rear than the front.

My guess would be incorrect (read drum/drum) master cylinder and/or wrong proportioning valve

By stepping on the brake and the rears locking before the fronts it makes me think the regulated pressure is higher to the rear than the front.

My guess would be incorrect (read drum/drum) master cylinder and/or wrong proportioning valve

WOW! Good call. I checked it out, and I DO have the wrong one!

Your the MAN!

03.jpg

05.jpg

-
Back