Can the brake pedal be adjusted

-

casey3307

Reaction score
The brakes on the car work fine but my brake lights constantly stay on because the brake pedal doesnt seem to come back to the default position it should when it's not being pressed. I can grab the brake pedal and pull it up to make the lights go off but I need it to cone back to that position on its own.

Is there an adjustment I can make anywhere?

And it has the factory drum brakes all the way around.

On a side note I bought disc brakes for the front from TheRamManInc.. but after I bought them I kept hearing horror stories that contradict his youtube videos about the ease of installing them so I havent had the confidence to move forward with that.

In the meantime I'd just like my brake lights to not be on all the time.

if you're sure the brakes aren't dragging, see if there's enough adjustment left on the pedal switch. You may be able to move it a little higher so lamps will stay off.

As I recall the switch bracket is adjustable. The switch may also be worn.

What car and year.

Assuming it is a body 67 up there is a bolt that adjusts the brake switch bracket LOTS of posts about this in the last year.

A body 66 down similar to 67 up.

Similar issue, brakes adjusted correctly. Spring in new mc just wasn't up to snuff so I added a return spring. Made a strap for the pedal arm and added a stud to the column bracket, added a spring.
20181017_102640.jpg

20181017_102655.jpg

There is only one way to adjust the pedal, and that is with an adjustable push rod. Dr.Diff has them for most applications. But they are normally only needed with some aftermarket, or "universal" master cylinders. Most likely you just need to adjust the light switch.

-
Back