Can this be Fixed?

-

mod5v

Reaction score
I just picked up this O/D trany but the shifter mount is broken. It is a cast iron piece. Can this be fixed or do I have to find a diffrent tail housing?

tail housing 1.JPG

I'd just swap the tail shaft housing. MUCH easier than trying to repair it. Just find the right one as the A-833 had several different tail shafts with different shifter mounting locations if I remember correctly.

It can be fixed but you will need someone who knows how to weld cast.. And if I remember correctly you would have to take the tranny apart just to change the tail shaft as the rear bearing is mounted in the tail shaft, just can't remember if it has a clip that has to be removed or not, been awhile since I have worked on one.

I've had a couple of these apart so I'm aware of what it takes. Finding a replacement is the problem also the overdrive (thats what this is) is kind of a pain to get the tail off. I need one with the A-body length and the 727 yoke.

Looks to have enough meat there to drill and tap a new hole then just add a spacer to bring it back to the right height.

I agree with damraider, this break can be ground down, drilled and tapped.
Rod

-
Back