Can this be Streetable?

-

hbbuddha

Reaction score
I have a magnum 5.9 and I'm ordering EQ drilled for LA intake. Power Steering, power brakes and AC.

I found a good deal on a Weiand 1995 Hi-Ram Tunnel Ram intake with 2 holley 4777-5 650cfm carbs. I was thinking of selling the carbs and getting a couple 450 cfm carbs but with that be enough to make it streetable? Or will the Tunnel Ram just not work well for streets?

Thanks

Tunnel rams can be a real PITA...
Hard starts being the least of your problems...

Well there are certainly people out there that can get them running right, and streetable....I'm not one of them.

My neighbor put one on his (cough) Nova and it's been a nightmare since day one. Six months later swapping out jets etc, he's just starting to get it sorted out...sorta

Depends if you want to drive it and it be dependable or not.

The tunnel ram will look good parked in the garage and sitting still.

But having it cough and sputter when driving it and embarrassing you with it's street manners out weights it's cool looking factor

It's all in the tuning. If you see a tunnel ram that bogs, I'll guarantee you the carbs are either too big or improperly tuned. Cold starts can be a bear, especially in colder climates and it takes a little extra work to get the tuning just right, but to say they aren't streetable is just wrong. Just do a search for "tuning a tunnel ram for the street", there are tons of sites and videos to help you out.

Sac would certainly be one of the best climates to run one. It really comes down to the intended use? I've been around, and tuned several dual carb street cars.....some worked ok, some would give me a complete headache :banghead:.

The main difference in my opinion was cam selection. That really is the determining factor for streetability. Torque converter, gearing, compression, etc. all have there place in choosing one, but the vacuum signal to the carbs is really what determines how the engine acts cruising around town.

P.S. Mounting the A/C compressor may be a bigger issue then getting her to run right. :D

Gives me a thing or two to think about. I don't think this guy is going to sell it anytime soon. Says he's had it since '09 and never installed it. He hasn't Lateef it for sell anywhere so I'm sure i have time to think about it. He's including a hood scoop, duel pump plumbing, fuel pressure guage and regulator.

I'm planning on a real mild cam because I want to run ps, pb and ac.

I'll look up some of the articles and videos.

Tunnl rams work awesome. Done 'em 4 times. 427 Chevy, 2 440's, 1 517
cu. in. Dodge. You need to know how to tune Holleys. No hard starts- No
spitting and sputtering- nothing but power on demand. I wouldn't put one
on my everyday car for fuel mileage reasons, and it would be difficult for
any cammed up motor to idle in gear powering an air conditioner, but don't
be afraid to put one on your "Toy" unless you're the type to put on an
Edelbrock carb and call it "done"regardless of how it runs.

Sac would certainly be one of the best climates to run one. It really comes down to the intended use? I've been around, and tuned several dual carb street cars.....some worked ok, some would give me a complete headache :banghead:.

The main difference in my opinion was cam selection. That really is the determining factor for streetability. Torque converter, gearing, compression, etc. all have there place in choosing one, but the vacuum signal to the carbs is really what determines how the engine acts cruising around town.

P.S. Mounting the A/C compressor may be a bigger issue then getting her to run right. :D

This information (last sentence,first paragraph). The hydraulic rollers usually offer more street ability ,than a similar sized flat tappet cam. It's a PITA, without tuning experience. That A/C mount,will be a one off.

-
Back