can tranny output sensor be fooled in 93 Caravan

-

WildCat

Reaction score
Got a 93 Caravan with 190,000 miles. It runs and drive good still but went into limp mode.

Changed both input & output sensors. Worked OK for a day then limp again. Took the new one out and cleaned it off and tried to clean inside where it sits in the tranny.

It continues to go in limp mode and usually at the worst possible time. Good thing on this it is very easy to remove, clean and reinstall.

I drive about 80 miles a day and it still gets 19 mpg. great to use as a truck to haul stuff, just don't like having to stop and clean it to get home.

Once it was snowing and cold, another rainingand yesterday was nice, but it didn't come out of limp mode the 1st time so stopped and removed and cleaned a 2nd time to get home.

It isn't worth a rebuild, just want to get a few more miles out of it.

thats kinda odd cuz i wouldn't think the computer would put it into limp mode for a slippage issue...

if it goes into limp mode have you tried just removing the sensor, dont clean, then reinstall and try again? it could be something else resetting in the time it takes you to do that...

did you check for codes?

i know a 94 jeep you can flash codes by going key on,off,on,off,on and it will flash thru the check engine light...

these are for the jeep but might work for you to...

[FONT=&quot]Diagnostic Trouble Codes - 1994
Jeep[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] 11 [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]IGN reference signal.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 12 [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Battery input to PCM disconnected during last 50 key starts.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 13 [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fault in the map sensor pneumatic circuit.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 14 [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fault in the map sensor electrical circuit.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 15 [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fault in the vehicle speed sensor circuit.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 17 [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Engine running too cool.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 21 [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Problem in the oxygen feedback circuit.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 22 [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fault in the coolant temperature sensor circuit.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 23 [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Air temperature sensor.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 24 [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Intake air temp. sensor voltage high.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 25 [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fault in the IAC motor drive circuit.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 27 [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fault in injector driver interface circuit.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 33 [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fault in air conditioning cutout relay circuit.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 34 [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]S/C solenoid circuits.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 35 [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fault in fan relay circuit.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 41 [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fault in the charging system or no field current.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 42 [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fault in the ASD relay driver circuit.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 44 [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Battery Temp Voltage.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 46 [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Battery voltage is too high.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 47 [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Battery voltage is too low.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 51 [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lean condition is indicated.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 52 [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Rich condition is indicated.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 53 [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Internal problem in module.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 54 [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]No cam position signal.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 55 [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Completion of fault code display.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 62 [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Unsuccessful attempt to update EMR mileage.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 63 [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Unsuccessful attempt to write to an EEPROM location by the controller.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

You should check it for codes if you haven't already. It could either be the TCM or the solenoid pack that's on the front of the trans. I think autozone still check codes for free.

You should check it for codes if you haven't already. It could either be the TCM or the solenoid pack that's on the front of the trans. I think autozone still check codes for free.

will they OBD I cars to? thought they just had the generic OBD II scanners...

You can not access all the tranny codes doing the key thing. They go into limp mode when they sense slippage during three drive cycles { wich means going through the gears three times}. It is a slippage issue that sends them into limp mode. when you stop and clean the sensor you are shutting the van off wich resets the loop in the computer and takes it out of limp mode until it senses the slippage through three drive cycles then it puts it back in limp mode. You have gotten all the good out of that tranny your gonna get without a rebuild. I worked in a tranny shop for 6 yrs. so I speak from experience on the limp mode.

You can not access all the tranny codes doing the key thing. They go into limp mode when they sense slippage during three drive cycles { wich means going through the gears three times}. It is a slippage issue that sends them into limp mode. when you stop and clean the sensor you are shutting the van off wich resets the loop in the computer and takes it out of limp mode until it senses the slippage through three drive cycles then it puts it back in limp mode. You have gotten all the good out of that tranny your gonna get without a rebuild. I worked in a tranny shop for 6 yrs. so I speak from experience on the limp mode.

good to know on the key cyling! thx

The key cycling will only get you into the main ecm the tranny has its own little ecm on the fwd cars. The snap-on diagnostic tool you hook up to the main ecm will get you into the tranny one and can actually tell you how much clearences you have in each clutch pack by the voltage it gives you. Thats what we had and its really slick unit.

almost 16 years as c/p/d tech at dealers,i did a lot trans in front driver trans,check fluid level.low fluid will cause lots of problems when cold,may not fix van,-cleaning sensor of metal is a sign that trans is almost done

cleaning sensor of metal is a sign that trans is almost done

That is what I figured.

I never thought to check for codes since it does not turn on check engine light.

My scanner is suppose to be for both OBD1 and 2

Looks like it is about done

-
Back