can you help me identify 70 rallye dash cluster, the Tach Look

-

kingdragon

Reaction score
I'm looking to have my dash restored on my EK2 340 Duster I've had for almost 20 years. Its been a project since the day I drove it home and I've been collecting parts for many years. Attached is an image of two gauge clusters: the top is a swap meet 70 unit and below is what I believe to be the born with gauge cluster. Can anyone identify the tach on the lower unit? It reads "electronic" in small font. it bolts in from the back just like the unit above and has the same contoured gauge cup face. Is this a Hustle Stuff unit? Also note the pointers look almost like they were painted red.
20180622_204524.jpg

that is strange. the top one looks correct. i think ive heard they had two different styles of tachs but i thought they only both went to 6k rpm. and the red paint on indicators ive never seen. heres a strange bezel on ebay. i cant figure out what year it is. my mind tells me 67 with the flasher switch and the round knob radio. eBay item number:153059979480

that is strange. the top one looks correct. i think ive heard they had two different styles of tachs but i thought they only both went to 6k rpm. and the red paint on indicators ive never seen. heres a strange bezel on ebay. i cant figure out what year it is. my mind tells me 67 with the flasher switch and the round knob radio. eBay item number:153059979480
You're right the one on eBay is a 1967.

Top one is correct. Sweep pattern is different for 68 and up. And originals only go to 6k.
There are some that are 70 specific but it's based on font size and minor color changes I believe.

Top one is correct. Sweep pattern is different for 68 and up. And originals only go to 6k.
There are some that are 70 specific but it's based on font size and minor color changes I believe.
That was my thoughts as well. But I gotta tell you the 8k tach looks as OEM as it gets. It's literally been in my car for 20 years, well before any repro stuff came along.

It looks 2nd best to a factory one. Close but for me I can tell right away cuz of the rev range. They are nice tho.
That was my thoughts as well. But I gotta tell you the 8k tach looks as OEM as it gets. It's literally been in my car for 20 years, well before any repro stuff came along.

I'm curious. It's hard to tell from the pictures. Is the tach script the same as the speedometer? Any other ID clues such as name or numbers on the tach?

Close up pics of the two out of cluster. I like the Aesthetics of the 6K unit better but if the 8K unit is the born with I prefer to keep original
20180624_113153.jpg

Again that 8k tach was in my car when I bought it in 97, well before reproduction tachs. I'm lending to believe it may be a Hustle stuff / direct connection unit. But Again I'd love to know for sure. I only.want to restore and install this dash once.

Here's pics from Hustle Stuff catalog. Looks like 4 tach types offered outtakes my catalog. I sold an nos hood mounted dixco a few years back, stupid....

20180624_115919.jpg

20180624_115951.jpg

There was DEFINITELY reproduction parts out by 97, and it may have been manufactured to fit a rally dash, but don't know for certain.

There was DEFINITELY reproduction parts out by 97, and it may have been manufactured to fit a rally dash, but don't know for certain.
I'm aware there was repro parts in general, forgive me for not being more specific. The reproduction abody rallye tachs have only been on the market for the past 5 years or so.

Repop tachs have been out longer than 5 years. The bottom one looks like it fits cup good, but I'm gonna say it's not factory DC or Hustle stuff but I've been wrong before.
Hustle Catalog is a reprint. Can't find a date on it.
I'm aware there was repro parts in general, forgive me for not being more specific. The reproduction abody rallye tachs have only been on the market for the past 5 years or so.

What year is that catalog?

20180624_122855.jpg

20180624_122904.jpg

Notice the tach cup. The 8k unit is plastic. Neither the factory vac gauge or blank out have this type of cup. 4spdragtop, when do you feel they issued the repro Abody rallye tachs? The first tachs I remember coming on the market were the early roadrunner units in the early 2000's

Judging by the 71 cuda on the cover of the catalog I'd say it's early 70's.
Did they have hustle stuff in say 68-69?

-
Back