Can you paint the engine bay with the engine still installed?

-

myasylum

Reaction score
I am just starting to toy around with the idea of painting my car. The problem is what to do with the engine bay if i paint it a differnt color? A buddy of mine said there should I'm be a way to cover the engine and paint around it. Im not real convinced of that, however pulling the engine just seems like a pain.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks!

I had to pull my motor/tran together when I painted mine. Problem is
how do you sand everything down with the motor still in there - especially
if your changing colors. Someone before me had painted my engine
compartmant flat black with spray can paint on top of the yellow - I
used paint thinner and that spray can paint came right off. I pulled
everything, used a 3" twisted wire cup brush on a angle grinder to remove
to take it down to metal, then, primared and painted it original yellow,
followed by clear.

Depends how nice of a job you want to do, I imagine it could be done with ok results just the more you remove from under the hood the better the results and depends on what colour your changing from and too because places you can reach is just gonna get over spray.

I removed everything except the engine and wiper motor. It came out ok, not great but good enough for my liking.

Attachments

• autofest 010_1.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 522
Definately! I mean, where do you put all the oil and brake fluid, dust and anti-freeze that gets all over everything ????

I did it the first time with the engine in place most of the stuff removed didn't like the results much. Must say nice job Pauly mine defiantly didn't look like that lol.

Since I'm doing the whole car this time nothing was left in there and turned out much better.

IMG_0256.jpg

If you have the chance pull the engine you'll be glad you did. Mines a real ***** to pull so I cleaned and painted around it. I didn't like the way it turned out.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 432
-
Back