Can you recommend me a mig welder?

-

low_kota

Reaction score
I'm shopping for a mig welder in the $400 range, what are your suggestions? I'm looking for something better than the harbor freight welder that won't break the bank...

I think tractor supply had a 140 somewhere in that range that I heard good things about...

I have a Lincoln SP-85. It's 110 Volt unit. Seems to be a litlle weak on higher heat selections. I have been told you should be looking at a 220 Volt Unit. A good welder will make you look good! My 2 cents.

Depends on what application you need it for. 110v are good for sheet metal work but if you want something that will cover more needs, I use a 220v Lincoln that's great for all things. I think I paid about 600 bucks but its been a great little box. I also have a miller 215 which is more of an industrial unit but that will do everything but its real spendy. Hobart 110v boxes are great for sheet metal. I'd stay away from the real cheap stuff because you get what you pay for.

I have a lincoln 140-C and it is fantastic. It easily welds up to 5/16" thick steel with no problems.

It would have to be 110v and it would mostly be used for sheet metal, angle iron and the occasional go kart frame.

I think tractor supply had a 140 somewhere in that range that I heard good things about...

I just bought a Hobart 140 Handler from Tractor Supply on a Lay away program. Here is one thread about it. Comes with a gas kit which is easier since you don't have to buy it separate.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=220132

Search Craigslist. I have an older Miller Matic 185, that once the problem was figured out, works great. What are you going to do wit it? Pretty sure it was this site that the guy did not speak to highly of 120 volt machines.....

Some guys that use just 220v machines that go to 110v ones really knock the 110v ones because they are use to the balls of the 220. I myself had never used a 110v buzz box until about a year ago. At first I didn't like it, but once I got the feel of it and got the settings down it worked like a champ for sheet metal. If you don't expect it to do miracles it will be just fine. One thing I like about the miller is the larger gun.

That being said, my 110 box has plenty of balls I've welded 3/16" together nicely.. Anything car related, I've been impressed. Check Craigslist.

I have been running a harbor freight about 170 amp mig welder 220v connected to a homelite 6000 watt generator for easily 6 years with zero issues. Well, one issue, I finally wore out my stinger handle but whatever nothing big.

I weld the hell out of 3-16 and have welded all day many times. Just throwing out an option for you.

I agree craigslist is the way to go with good used gear. But you could set yourself up a generator and welder set for more power and versatility!

Thanks for all the help guys. We went with the Hobart 140 from Northern Tool. It was $499 with a welding cart and free shipping.

I have been running a harbor freight about 170 amp mig welder 220v connected to a homelite 6000 watt generator for easily 6 years with zero issues. Well, one issue, I finally wore out my stinger handle but whatever nothing big.

I weld the hell out of 3-16 and have welded all day many times. Just throwing out an option for you.

I agree craigslist is the way to go with good used gear. But you could set yourself up a generator and welder set for more power and versatility!

We had a harbor freight mig and it lasted about 7 years. Now when you let off the trigger the wire will not stop feeding. I'm not sure what's wrong and we wanted an upgrade.

I see you already made your purchase, I was going to chime in about Eastwood's welders, seems they are priced decent and come with 3 year warranties... hard to beat. I will be replacing a cheap HF unit with one shortly. Will review it here in hopes it may help others.

There has been quite a few of us buying welders lately and getting some great deals. I like threads like this that help make good decisions.

I've always used hobart handler 140's for my home projects. they weld very well on thinner stuff and have the ability to do some heavy stuff

-
Back