Canadian swinger 340

-

DA4AD

Reaction score
Found a car locally,
How would I know if it's a Canadian Swinger 340?
Just by the serial number?
Fender tags are missing.

he following information on the 71 Swinger "Specials" with factory equipped 340 drivetrains was researched and compiled by Dan Rasmussen of Edmonton, Alberta. Dan owns two of these special order Swingers. He has researched these cars quite extensively and deserves credit. The photos are a courtesy of Don Uhl.

The 340 was not avaiable in the American nor the Canadian Dart Swinger in 1971. In 1971, the fastback Demon 340 had replaced the hardtop 1970 Swinger 340 in the Dodge lineup. Therefore fans of performance A-body hardtops, which were very popular here in Canada, were left empty handed.

A Dodge dealership in Regina, Saskatchewan called Crestview and another in Edmonton, Alberta called Crosstown convinced Chrysler to make a special run of 340 Swingers in 1971 due to their success with the 1970 model. (There was likely some other reason why these dealerships were able to get a special order of these cars but that may never be revealed).

All 1971 340 Swingers were ordered and built as the Swinger Special which had the VIN prefix LL23H1R (L=Dart, L=Low, 23=2 Door Hardtop, H=340, 1=71, R=Windsor, Ontario Plant), unlike the 1970 Swinger 340 which had the VIN prefix LM23H0R (M=Medium, 0=70). The "Special" in Swinger Special does not imply a special run. The Swinger Special was the bottom of the line Dart in 1971. The production figures for the Swinger Specials for the U.S. and Canada are as follows:

198ci (LL23C1R) 2,757 U.S.
225ci (LL23C1R) 7,706 U.S.
318ci (LL23G1R) 836 U.S.
340ci (LL23H1R) 75 Canada
198ci + 225ci + 318ci 1,557 Canada & Export
---------------------------------------------------------
Total Specials: 12,931 units

I got a little exited when I first found the car as. I thought it was a 340 car with a LL23H1R serial number (couldn't find my numbers book when I posted).
I went and looked at it and it is a LH23G1R1 car, so I'm not that excited as it's not what I thought.
Very rusted, floors are patched and no title. there's a few good parts but not many.
I offered $1000.00 but he refused, just another guy that thinks he has a HEMI!

Attachments

• IMG_2048.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_8262.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_2560.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 286
...wasn't the most famous swinger Margaret Trudeau... our at leas that what the Stones say...

It got rusty as soon as that Ontario licence plate went on it.

My guess on that car would be if it was any good it would be gone by now, it has sat out on that street for the last few years. Lots of car guys live around there so I'm sure it has been looked over.

My guess on that car would be if it was any good it would be gone by now, it has sat out on that street for the last few years. Lots of car guys live around there so I'm sure it has been looked over.

Sounds like it sold. $2500

Sounds like it sold. $2500

I would say your $1000 offer was more in line, by the time you replace all the metal you will have a $10000 roller on your hands.

Anything come of this sighting? DA4AD, is that car in your area (Winnipeg)? Was it a '71 or '72 Swinger 340 Special? With you mentioning he said it's a 30's car - the '72 Pembina cars VINs started with 33... after the LL23H2R and the '72 Crosstown cars were 30... '71's all started with 26... Hmmm. Can you find out more info on this car? Might be interesting. Thanks. Cliff

The car was at a place on HWY 1 around Moosomin Around a month ago, the place deals in older stuff, most looks rough.

Thanks 67autocross, you wouldn't by chance know the name of that dealer in Moosomin? If that was a month ago, may still be around and I could quiz the guys there etc. Thanks in advance.
Cliff

I don't even know a 100% it was Moosomin, just that it is at one of those small towns along the Saskatchewan boarder on number 1 HWY, and it's the same car.

Haha, yeah, gotta' love Canadian prairie towns, they kinda all have the same feel. Do you remember what colour it was? Wish I knew someone in that area... Say, if anyone is from around there, keep an eye out, Hwy 1, Moosomin(ish), used car lot along highway, along with name of said used car lot - that would be great! Thx. Cliff

-
Back