Canadian vs US elections

-

Rob

Reaction score
It's interesting how American elections take 2 freakin years to get through all the BS leading up to the election :angry7: Apparently we're calling an election tomorrow, we'll have the whole thing wrapped up in 5 weeks :-D Of course we have no freakin idea who the top dog in each party is but we assume the scum always rises to the top :toothy10: Speaking of parties, you guys have two, we have 5 for sure and probably a couple more little guys on top of that, weird eh :-D

The Canadian system has a definite advantage for the party in power (except after a no-confidence vote which is a whole other discussion). The elections are not held every 4 years on a fixed shedule as in the US but can be held any time within 5 years, so there is no real opportunity for long drawn out campaigns. When the "winds are favorable" and polls show that the leading party should win, that is when they typically they call another election, which doesn't give the minority parties alot of time to gain much momentum.

Oddly enough the polls suggest that the current party isn't doing overly well. It will be interesting, do I vote for the Liberals, they're more honest, they promise to screw you right from the get go. The Conservatives promise not to and then break all promises and screw you. The political cartoon had Harper saying he needs to call an election becuase he's run out of promises to break :-D:-D

I've noticed we Canadians seem to be more cynical of our poloticians....probably with good reason. I'm always amazed at how many people are in attendance at the U.S. political rallies, cheering for their candidate like their at a rock concert when to me it doesn't matter how much a polotician seems like an everyday person, they always turnout the same in the end, serving their own interests and wallets:angry7:

You can count me as one of the cynical ones, Harper promised to leave Income Trusts alone, broke his promise and I lost over $100,000 because of it, and no, that isn't bullshit. :angry7:

You can count me as one of the cynical ones, Harper promised to leave Income Trusts alone, broke his promise and I lost over $100,000 because of it, and no, that isn't bullshit. :angry7:

Hey, at least he lowered the G.S.T.:poke:

Honestly, that really sucks. That's alot of $$$ to lose. But I gotta disagree about the liberals, they break far more promises. Jean Cretien - promised to eliminate the GST alltogether. That didn't happen. When the Conservatives promised to lower the GST, the Liberals poo-poo'd it. And God help us all if that twit Dion gets in with his "Green Shift" plan. :bs:

Don't even get me started on the Ontario Provincial Liberals. McGuinty broke just about every one of his promises and then gets re-elected with a majority government. Sometimes I think we deserve what we get. :banghead:

And there's the problem, I will never vote for the Conservatives again, the Liberals suck as do the NDP, the Bloc isn't an option so that leaves some little party that has no chance :angry7:

And there's the problem, I will never vote for the Conservatives again, the Liberals suck as do the NDP, the Bloc isn't an option so that leaves some little party that has no chance :angry7:

Just have to wait until the Conservatives re-invent themselves again. When I moved to the US in 1990 they were the "Progressive Conservatives" ... an oxymoron if there ever was one. Then there were break-ups and mergers and they became the "Conservatives". How much did things really change though?

Sorry to hear you got so screwed over and lost all that investment money there Rob that bites bad. I agree with you on who to vote for, federally all three of the big parties are run by a bunch self serving idiots who talk big at election time then don't follow through. I think the only way to win the game is to be a career polotician then retire on a big fat indexed pension :bootysha: I think in B.C. too our government is as screwed up almost as bad as the feds.

Yeah **** happens. I'm in Victoria so I know all about BC politics, man do I hate Campbell. I'd like to see Harper and Campbell beat each others brains out in a UFC type event, winner fights Liddel next :-D Nice raise Campell just gave the execs, about 100K a year :angry7:

I think the US should just pick a name out of a hat. They are all crooks if you ask me. You just vote for the better liar.

Yeah **** happens. I'm in Victoria so I know all about BC politics, man do I hate Campbell. I'd like to see Harper and Campbell beat each others brains out in a UFC type event, winner fights Liddel next :-D Nice raise Campell just gave the execs, about 100K a year :angry7:

I haven't been into the ultimate fighting stuff, but I'd pay to see that match up!!!! Maybe feed King Gordy a few martinis before the event:angry7:to even things up.

Yeah that would be sweet :-D They both have that smug look on their mugs all the time, I've always wanted to smack that look right off them :toothy10:

Start your own!! I'll vote for ya Rob :toothy10:

OK after reading all the Canadian posts I guess I'll stay here...same problems, different format! How about limiting them all to 1 term, cycle the crooks thru before they can learn how to really screw us!

Ya I lost money to Rob when Canadian Oil Sands Trust and a few others tanked but they've come back since then. Just make sure that you only keep the good paying Energy trusts when 2009 rolls around cuss them SOB's in Ottawa are going to take what works out to about a third of any distributions or dividend payouts. COS.UN is averaging about 8% overall.

REIT's (Real Estate Income Trusts) aren't (at this time) going to be touched but who knows anymore with them lying bastards. I wonder if it's because most of the REITs are managed from Bay Street instead of downtown Calgary with the Energy Trusts.

Terry

While we're on the subject of lying bastards from Ottawa, I for one would never vote for any party who's leader comes from Quebec and especially one who can't speak the english language. Dion sounds like a 3rd grader with a lisp (I'm not denegrading people with a hair lip) and I'm personally embarassed by that moron everytime he opens his mouth, and oh ya, he can stick his "CARBON TAX" where the sun don't shine. It's laughable to think that he thinks that the moyority of canadians will trust that the thieving morons in Ottawa will give that tax back to us come tax time (revenue neutral) and not spend it on pet projects for thier feeding trough friends at Bombardier or Air Canada. These are the same jack asses that said that the long gun registry would pay for itself but instead has cost the taxpayer, what it's up to, 2 Billion dollars.

Terry

. Dion sounds like a 3rd grader with a lisp (I'm not denegrading people with a hair lip) and I'm personally embarassed by that moron everytime he opens his mouth, and oh ya, he can stick his "CARBON TAX" where the sun don't shine.

Terry

Geez Terry if ya don't like how Dion the dips**t sounds I guess it must have really ground your gears when good ol'Jean Cretchin (don't know how to spell his name, I think Cretin is closer)spoke, I know when he was the prime minister and spoke in public to the world I use to cringe, he sounded like a real uneducated idiot!! Speaking of federals coming up with a carbon tax, have any other provincial govts come out with one?? I know our Liberals in B.C. implimented one then gave us all a $100 cheque to off set it,we were to use the hundred bucks to buy energy saving goodies, I put my $100 in the tank of my Valiant and burnt it!! Its still not done, I think there's to be two more increases in the carbon tax in the next two years:angry7: They figure if we pay more for gas we will burn less.............yeah right:munky2:

Geez Terry if ya don't like how Dion the dips**t sounds I guess it must have really ground your gears when good ol'Jean Cretchin (don't know how to spell his name, I think Cretin is closer)spoke, I know when he was the prime minister and spoke in public to the world I use to cringe, he sounded like a real uneducated idiot!! Speaking of federals coming up with a carbon tax, have any other provincial govts come out with one?? I know our Liberals in B.C. implimented one then gave us all a $100 cheque to off set it,we were to use the hundred bucks to buy energy saving goodies, I put my $100 in the tank of my Valiant and burnt it!! Its still not done, I think there's to be two more increases in the carbon tax in the next two years:angry7: They figure if we pay more for gas we will burn less.............yeah right:munky2:

You're right macadoo, everytime CRETIN opened his yap, especially when he was making a wised assed comment, I felt sick to my stomach. To think he represented the canadian people on the world stage, what a buffoon.

Terry

-
Back