Candy apple paint

-

swedefish

Reaction score
I´m going to paint the rear fender on the wifes Chrysler.
It´s a Candy Apple Red color with a silver paint in the first layer.
My question: should the silver paint be completly dry before applying the candy red basecolor? For how long should I wait to apply the basecolor?
I belive I´ve read that the clear should be sprayed within 24 hours.
But how about the red basecolor on the first layer of silver?
Any help are most appreciated
Many thanks in advance.
/Lenny

Read the tech sheet that came with the paint. Flash times vary

The silver base coat will flash off pretty quick aprox. 30 min. and you can move to next step but then longer for the clear . touch some tape and make sure it has flashed over then go on to the clear coat

Read the tech sheet that came with the paint. Flash times vary
Thanks guys
The guy I bought the paint from is a painter himself, he mixed the paint and had it in a blank can. Since he´s on vacation I can´t get in touch to ask him about it.

Thanks Junior, appreciate it very much, :cheers::thumbup:

if the basecoat does not require hardener or to be mixed with clearcoat, it will be dry and ready for candy coat within 15-20 minutes, as for the actual candy coat,some are done with regular binder and should be sprayed like regular basecoat, some have to be mixed with clearcoat, which brand is it ? If you waited more than 6-7 hours ,you're too late and will have to scuff/sand and may have to start from the beginning

The basecoats were only reduced, I sprayed the candy basecoat after 30 min.
Sprayed the clear coat early morning the day after, could have been 11-12 hours between the base and clear. I´ll see how it holds up.
Thanks for the info, :thumbup:

Bild0020 - Kopia.jpg

-
Back