Can't figure out this damned oil leak

-
Just looked at your picture again. harmonic balancer is miles a way from that seal. Maybe when you install the next seal, try and install it completely flush with the cover.

A few thousands would be hard to see. and can't see the the seal not being able to seal that. But if the seal to crank was off enough to be the cause of the leak. It should be obvious to the eye.

Is this a boosted eng? is there crank case pressure? Is the thrust bearing loose cause the crank to go back and forth? Is it possible that the seal is rubbing on something, when its installed. Harmonic balancer rubbing on it, or the oil pump???

This is way off field but its it possible that you have a crank seal that was meant for a speedy leaves but didn't come in the box?
Agreed, visual inspection shows seal contacting surface of shaft all the way around.
Not boosted. Thrust bearing normal end play. Oil pump is not rubbing, seal runs on the balancer shaft so that is normal. I have breathers on the both sides of the motor, maybe I need a vacuum pump.

Just looked at your picture again. harmonic balancer is miles a way from that seal. Maybe when you install the next seal, try and install it completely flush with the cover.
The seal is installed all the way in the mounting surface, there is a lip on the inside to prevent it from being installed too far into the cover. It is flush against that lip.
I've also noticed that I can run the motor in the garage at idle up to temperature with no leaking, maybe blip the throttle a couple of times. It is at the track where it starts to leak. The 2 different things I can think of that happen at the track are:
1. it is run up to 7000 rpm every pass
2. There is hard braking at the end of the pass.
I could try running a little less oil in the pan, or adding an air pump. Less oil would obviously be an easier thing to try...

when that started we said cars like that had " The Blue Death"...
I definitely remember that!! Saw several at Pick N Pull and U Wrench It that had motors like that.

Later in life I realized they were probably dead due to plugged oil pickup screens.

seal is in backward. this is the front of the seal it should face towards towards the balancer

IMG_2338[1].JPG

seal is in backward. this is the front of the seal it should face towards towards the balancer

View attachment 1715997041
Thanks. That's the way I had the previous one that leaked. When I re do it after racing is over I'll put it in the other way again.
Until then, I'll just keep checking it and wiping the K-member off in between rounds. I will also check for clearance between the seal and the front of the oil pump.

-
Back