Can't get at upper bolt on starter.

-

JoeKramer

Reaction score
I have a '71 duster, 318 with a 4 speed. Has long tube headers. I can't seem to get at the top bolt.
Do I need to remove the headers?

No, it's a task, but can be done. I use a shorty wrench on mine. You can only move it a little bit at a time. Once you get it loose hold the weight of the starter off it and you may be able to turn it with your fingers.

Get about 2 feet of extensions and go from way out front.

Make sure the other nut/bolt is still somewhat loose so you can wiggle the starter a bit.

I use a couple of long extensions and wobbley socket from the top looking down on the motor. Works great and its fast.

Make sure the other nut/bolt is still somewhat loose so you can wiggle the starter a bit.

I'm gonna have to try that again, for some reason I couldn't get the socket on when I tried it.

If you can't get the extension in there the short wrench is the only other way. You have to get it from underneath the car.

That's how I did mine. I have the later model mini starter though. I your trying to use the stock big starter your in for a world of headache. It will work but totally not worth it.

I have to remove the starter. So I guess I have to remove the header. If I do that I should change out the freeze plugs (passengers side is leaking)

I ended up removing the bolt and screwing a threaded stud like the one on the bottom and this makes the removal process so much easier, also makes it a lot easier to reinstall because you can slide the starter over the studs and it will stay in place.

are you sure the starter is gone? a lot of times its bad ground wires from eng to frame and tarnished cable ends on the positive side.

as far as freeze plugs you can tap new ones in when you have the headers out of the way. but taking the headers off can be a real chore, especially some of the older ones.

I use a couple of long extensions and wobbley socket from the top looking down on the motor. Works great and its fast.

X2 I love the wobbly sockets!

IMG_4532.jpg

-
Back