Can't get Pass. door open

-

jeremy2146

Reaction score
OK, so I picked up a 70 Duster for my new body to work with. Its staright and has minimal rust, but I cannot for the life of me get the passenger door open. I have the panel off, lubed it up, and tried moving just about everything from inside the door.....I'm at a loss, any ideas or tips for me?

not trying to be a smartass but did you unlock the door with the key? then grab the door handle rod and pull it towards the front of the car. if that dont work, make sure the window is all the way up, reach in to the door and pull the lever the door handle rod is attached to. you need to make sure the lock rod is actually unlocking the mechanism. good luck

Can you move parts on the actual door mechanism itself?--
trace the one from your inside door handle or the push button-- move it directly--(what does the latch do)

when you have the latch in the open position -- strike the door as close as possible to the striker area. A foot or something non denting is best.
a friend would be helpful.

Also-- if you have coated the mechanism in the door -- lightly tap on it-- place a drift on it And tap the flat spots-- don't bend anything.

Most likely this mechanism is rusted shut-- could be light rust could be major, until door is open-- can't tell.

Lawrence

I've tried using the key, the lock mechanism works as it disengaged the handle. Both the inside and outside handles are working, and itseems to be moving freely. The door does seem pretty tight as I can seem to even move in in or out at all by pushing/pulling on it. I've been trying to avoid the kicking it to try and get it to pop loose, if at all possible.
Is it a possiblity that it was adjusted too tight? It could be rust...I pulled it out of a field and it has been sitting for a while!! but for $300 I couldnt complain.

Just a thought here. Could the door be sagging due to worn out hinge bushings? That would put a lot of weight directly on the post and possibly prevent the actuator from doing its job correctly.

Try lifting on the door handle while pressing the button.

Well, I ended up finally getting the door open.I sprayed a lot of aerokroil into the door jamp and slowly pryed the door open from the inside with the handle pulled, it came free.
Turns out the spring that kickes the latch open was rusted up and wouldn't let it move freely.
Once i got it open I worked it back and forth cleaning and spraying it everytime and finally worked it free!! Finally, now I can finish cleaning it out. Thanks for the help guys.....I did try the jack idea, the kicking and the tapping with a hammer, I'm sure they all helped somehow...haha :cheers:

on that latch--- remove it from the car & soak it( I used muratic acid)
I only soaked it for a short time/rinsed it off & then coated it with spray lube---this method cleaned up my latches so well -- I quit looking for replacements.

I only say this since your springs were so rusted it wouldn't open , the amount of build up inside plus the factory packed grease might be unusable (hard).
Lawrence

on that latch--- remove it from the car & soak it( I used muratic acid)
I only soaked it for a short time/rinsed it off & then coated it with spray lube---this method cleaned up my latches so well -- I quit looking for replacements.

I only say this since your springs were so rusted it wouldn't open , the amount of build up inside plus the factory packed grease might be unusable (hard).
Lawrence

Sounds like a great idea.

-
Back