Can't stop oil leak at base of distributor

-

my66fish

Reaction score
I hope someone can help me. I have been battling this oil leak and can not figure out how to stop it. The oil is coming from the base of the Mopar Performance distributor and running down the back of the block on my 273. At this point I have changed out the o-ring which I bought the kit from Jegs and also have bought the felt pro gasket that goes around the base. I have also changed out the pcv valve and the breather to make sure I'm releasing the pressure from the engine. I don't know what else to do. This engine was rebuilt about 1 1/2 years ago and now has about a thousand miles on the engine. Any suggestions or is there something I'm over looking. I have dropped many distributors in small blocks in my day but have never in my life run across this. Is it possible the distributor itself could be the problem?

Check the back edge of the intake very carefully.The cork end gasket is notorious for leaking and is right next to the distributor.

If not that-check the oil sending unit.

Thank you for responding.
What I have done was borrow a friends distributor and me and my buddy switched it out and the leak continued. So I did pull the manifold and you can see where right by the distributor area there is a valley through the sealant where it looks like the oil is coming through.
I understand what you are saying about the cork gaskets, but the intake was put on without the gaskets and only a bead of ultra black and it leaked. What I was planning on doing is put a small bead of ultra black put the cork gasket and then put another small bead and pray to all seven religions that it stops leaking. Your thoughts??

The sealant was either not high enough, let dry too much before it was put together, or run to soon after assy.
The main important thing is that the intake goes on ASAP so that the silicone does'nt have a chance to "skin over" and it sticks to the intake as well as the block.
Also ultra black is pretty soft as silicones go.
Use red rtv (its tougher), make sure there is enough to reach the intake well, and let it dry over night.
Take care about these three steps and it'll never leak again. (done it a bunch of times) and works perfectly.
I'm sure there will be a ton of differing opinions, but this method always works for me.

I have resealed the intake with the proper gaskets and ultra black on both sides, and thank God the leak has stopped. The engine is finally dry of oil. Thank God. Thanks for everyone's input.

What I was planning on doing is put a small bead of ultra black put the cork gasket and then put another small bead and pray to all seven religions that it stops leaking. Your thoughts??

That's how I have done the last 2, no leaks. I put the silicone on the block and set the cork and let it sit for a while. Then I apply another bit and install the intake.

Good deal, you got it.

-
Back