Captainkirk's Duster project

-
Fresh out of the Navy? Great Lakes NTC, I'm guessing. Actually we're only a few miles apart. If I see something come up local, I'll be sure to spot you a heads-up.

Actually was never stationed at Great Lakes. Did all my time on the west coast. I did get another car (1967 Dart) that I'm working on. Needs a ton of work, but its a labor of love. If you ever need a hand drop me a line, as we don't live that far from each other.

Actually was never stationed at Great Lakes. Did all my time on the west coast. I did get another car (1967 Dart) that I'm working on. Needs a ton of work, but its a labor of love. If you ever need a hand drop me a line, as we don't live that far from each other.

You gonna make Nostalgia Days in Zion, Scoop The Loop (or whatever they changed the name to this year) or Park on Park in Mundelein this year? I'll be there (without The Duke, of course!) with any luck...
I did actually crawl under Duke last night, just to figure out where I left off. It was just as I figured......I gotta get busy!:clock:

You gonna make Nostalgia Days in Zion, Scoop The Loop (or whatever they changed the name to this year) or Park on Park in Mundelein this year? I'll be there (without The Duke, of course!) with any luck...
I did actually crawl under Duke last night, just to figure out where I left off. It was just as I figured......I gotta get busy!:clock:

I'll probably go to Mopars at the Park in Fox Lake. Its at Veterans Park on the 27th of June. Never been to Scoop the Loop or Nostalgia Days. Park on Park is a tough one for me, I get home late and get up early for work!

Started reading this last night. Shoot, we could be neighbors. Only I grew up in Bradburys "Greentown", Waukegan. Now in Kenosha, just over the border from you. Like all has said before, GREAT STORY!

Started reading this last night. Shoot, we could be neighbors. Only I grew up in Bradburys "Greentown", Waukegan. Now in Kenosha, just over the border from you. Like all has said before, GREAT STORY!
Did I ever run into you on Genesee in the 70's?
My kid lives in K-Town. I was just over at his house today helping him with his yard work!
BTW.."Greentown" is home these days......
See ya at Nostalgia Days?
I gotta admit....it's a pretty good read if I do say so myself. And it gets better...trust me!

Yo, Cap`n so it's the 17 . . . what's up, did the Duke loose his tongue? Or, have you taken to wearing ear plugs when in the garage?

Just kidding, but how's it going?

Wednesday night, I have a date with The Duke (No wait....that just sounds wrong!)
Uhhh...Wed. evening work resumes. There. I said it. Now, I expect you to hold me to it.

Wednesday night, I have a date with The Duke (No wait....that just sounds wrong!)
Uhhh...Wed. evening work resumes. There. I said it. Now, I expect you to hold me to it.

and I........ we hope you do more than slide under for a lookie loo:bootysha:
progress man we need progress:cheers: that and a good story:read2:

Stories are great Cap'n! The wait makes me appreciate them that much more. Yeah, I remember Genesee St. Turning around off the bridge at the south part of town.......smelling the rubber, seeing the smoke, hearing the whine of the rpm's. Ahh youth! LOL The one light races. I rode with a friend, he had a '68 Dart GTS with the 383 and 4 speed. That car could get it. I have yet to go down there yet for the Scoop the Loop thingie, or Zion's Nostalgia Days. Usually out in Colorado visiting my brother. Another gear head, his garage is crammed with stuff. Unfortunately it's not Mopar, but at least it ain't Ford! Ok, we're ready whenever you are. Thanks for the story!

OK, we didn't like, hold hands or nuthin'.....but I'm a man of my word. Work did, in fact resume. By 9:30 I was laying on a creeper with trouble light and scraper in hand, picking up where I left off....oh, about a year ago. On one hand, it was depressing to see how close I actually had been to being done with the underside when I last stopped. On the other hand, it was uplifting to see how close I actually am to completing that particular part of the project!
After I finished working for the evening, I made up a "task list" that I can check off as I proceed...something to guide my progress. The depressing part; everywhere I look I see $$$$ signs. I may have to lower my standards a wee bit if I'm ever gonna finish this thing.:clock:

good to hear your back at it:cheers: and even if you have to lower your standards, you can still have something to do after you get the duke on the road=P~ that's why god made winters:bootysha:

good to hear your back at it:cheers: and even if you have to lower your standards, you can still have something to do after you get the duke on the road=P~ that's why god made winters:bootysha:

That's what I figure. I was gonna pull the axles, do the rear brakes and all that crap before I put the rear end back in; no more. Just gonna clean the rust off the rear end and springs, paint it, and slap it back in. All that other jazz can wait until AFTER the car is back together and running.
Sometimes (OK; all the time!) I get way too anal about having everything "perfect", like new. Like you said, I can always work on it later, after it's all together.:clock:

That's what I figure. I was gonna pull the axles, do the rear brakes and all that crap before I put the rear end back in; no more. Just gonna clean the rust off the rear end and springs, paint it, and slap it back in. All that other jazz can wait until AFTER the car is back together and running.
Sometimes (OK; all the time!) I get way too anal about having everything "perfect", like new. Like you said, I can always work on it later, after it's all together.:clock:

Yeah... You could do that.. Or do like me and just get another to drive while you work on the one and make it PERFECT!

Yeah... You could do that.. Or do like me and just get another to drive while you work on the one and make it PERFECT!

BJ..I've been working on this freaking project since 1981....which is the last year I had it on the road....I would like to drive it again before I'm too old to drive! LOL......:clock:

You know . . . yer right Cap'n . . . like sands through the hourglass . . . the clock is tickin' . . . lol . . .

BJ..I've been working on this freaking project since 1981....which is the last year I had it on the road....I would like to drive it again before I'm too old to drive! LOL......:clock:
haha! Yes I know.. I bought mine for my 15th birthday.. And I had to pull it out of a junkyard... so I have no clue when the last time it saw the road was. So I am giving it a buildup worthy of all that patience! :cheers: But I probably have a little more time than you if you are worried about not being able to drive it.

haha! Yes I know.. I bought mine for my 15th birthday.. And I had to pull it out of a junkyard... so I have no clue when the last time it saw the road was. So I am giving it a buildup worthy of all that patience! :cheers: But I probably have a little more time than you if you are worried about not being able to drive it.

Well, it's not like I think of myself as old or somethin'... it's just that, if it takes another 30 years, I'll be in deep ****......if you know what I mean! LOL!
I still ride my sport bikes like I'm twenty......:cheers:

Well, it's not like I think of myself as old or somethin'... it's just that, if it takes another 30 years, I'll be in deep ****......if you know what I mean! LOL!

lmao:toothy10:

Thats cool.......age is only a number. If you think you're old, well you're gonna be old! I never had a hot car as a kid, I would like to be able to pull up next to some japanese gassed car with my "gramma sleeper" and surprise 'em! If I want a second childhood, who am I hurting? :bootysha:

Thats cool.......age is only a number. If you think you're old, well you're gonna be old! I never had a hot car as a kid, I would like to be able to pull up next to some japanese gassed car with my "gramma sleeper" and surprise 'em! If I want a second childhood, who am I hurting? :bootysha:

Hell, Louie...if you never had a hot car as a kid, this is your FIRST childhood!8)

-
Back