Captainkirk's Duster project

-
I ended up removing all the seam caulk from the rear horizontal seam and re-caulking with polyurethane seam caulk. Hindsight will tell if this was a good choice or not.....:sign3:
QUOTE]

Since I suggested the poly I guess that means me :protest::protest::cheers:

Since I suggested the poly I guess that means me :protest::protest::cheers:

Well, it seemed like a good idea; it was local and relatively inexpensive.....I ran with it. Same with R3's suggestion about the Rust-Oleum. Made sense, cheap and readily available. Yes, I'm sure in both instances there are 'more correct' or 'better' products, but I think in my case it's less WHAT you use than just USING it in the first place! It's been way to easy to simply not look under that carpet the last 30 years....but I'm glad I did.

Well, at least compared to the last couple years......
With all the seats and carpeting out, I was able to wire-wheel all the rust (no pinholes....woo hoo!) and give the previously rusted areas a coating of Rust Converter, seal the loose and peeling sealant with polyurethane, then apply two nice, thick coats of Rust-Oleum oil-based flat black paint over everything from behind the rear seat forward. I don't think any undercoating will be necessary at this point; this car should never see salt or snow again if I can help it. I'm finding this game is as much mental as physical; you have to keep at it with dogged determination, even if you accomplish very little per session, it's the momentum that carries through. The Duke, I'm finding, has morphed from a simple make-it-run-and-drive project of 30 years ago, into a total resto of a magnitude that I never would have imagined, or probably had the guts to start had I known. I didn't start out this way, if you read the beginning of this thread, but hell; here I am. The past week's progress has been heartening and encouraging, and I find myself stoked to get out there each night. But when I look and listen, I can feel Ol' Man Winter ambling his way down the road....not yet here, but on his way nonetheless. This will be make-it-or-break-it for the Duke......if I can keep doing the small parts and pieces over the winter instead of putting it to pasture, I'm sure I will keep the fire burning. I tell myself that I can't stop or even slow down now; if I ever want to finish this thing I have to keep the kinetic energy flowing and my mojo workin'. I do have a heated shop to work on the bits and pieces over the winter, even if I can't work on the car itself. There is a lot of suspension and brakes to be done, and if they can be worked over the winter, my goal of having a rolling chassis by June could actually become a reality. Wish me luck......:D

Well, it seemed like a good idea; it was local and relatively inexpensive.....I ran with it. Same with R3's suggestion about the Rust-Oleum. Made sense, cheap and readily available. Yes, I'm sure in both instances there are 'more correct' or 'better' products, but I think in my case it's less WHAT you use than just USING it in the first place! It's been way to easy to simply not look under that carpet the last 30 years....but I'm glad I did.

I bet its going to hold up fine. Paint is such a beautiful thing. Warms the heart just looking at the transformation.

"Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water......" Jaws II

It was going so well...really, it was! I was actually pattin' myself on the back; for the first time since I can't remember when, I was actually putting things BACK ON The Duke.
I re-strung the the seat belt warning wiring harness across the freshly painted floorboard (all the time asking myself "Why"?)....I remember back in the day unplugging the annoying thing.....but whatever. It was there; I put it back. 'Nuff said. Then I reattached the dimmer switch to the floor, and the washer foot pump, two screws apiece. Not a big deal, really, but a 'Micro-Triumph', if you will. Then I took one of the rear seat lap belts, covered in dirt, dust, grime, and (Ewwwww!) mouse pee and stuck it in the laundry tub and scrubbed the living **** out of it (quite literally, I'm guessing) with dish soap (lavender, even!). After reinstalling the seat belt and feeling pretty proud of myself, I stood looking at the progress I'd made. It looked good, really it did. But there was this little, nagging voice in my ear....
See, there was one fresh, virgin, untouched area of which I was quite proud. Underneath the rear sidewall vinyl/cardboard trim panels lay, untouched, the original semi-clear plastic sheeting, still attached over the binding strips of white caulk. Yep, I was quite proud of having something still untouched, unmolested since The Duke left Hamtramck. And here was this little voice telling me to "peel it off and look inside". And it had been, for days. Ever since I pulled the vinyl panels....
I had no intention of tearing that plastic sheeting. It was pristine; untouched. Maybe the only part on this car left unmolested.
I must've stared at it for 10 minutes. Then, curiosity got the best of me, and I popped out the tiny, half-inch plastic plug on the top of the doorpost and peered inside with my penlight.
SON OF A *****! RUST!
Why did I have to look? Why?
I looked for a bit; peered in, still reluctant for some reason, to peel off that virgin plastic. Until, that is, I heard the Duke barking; "Saddle Up...We're burning Daylight!" Without a further moment's hesitation, I ripped off the plastic like a chimp unwrapping a Twinkie.
In hindsight, I guess it wasn't that bad. A couple hours with a scraper, sandpaper, shop vac and an air hose rendered the flaky stuff gone, and no obvious permanent damage (other than the clear plastic sheeting). Repeating the same monkey-motion on the other side revealed pretty much the same; a little worse, but no rust holes. I'm sure a can of the old faithful Rust Converter followed up with a shot of rust proofing will render The Duke pretty much cancer-free (until I find more, somewhere....and I know I will.)
As a neat little party favor, I found this neat little "Furbie" thing hiding behind the plastic....a little round puff-thing about the size of a golf ball with glued-on plastic feet and eyeballs...how the blue blazes it ever got there, or how long it's been there is beyond me! Anyway, I 'liberated' the poor little bastard and made him pose for a photo shoot. If I can ever get this Flickr photo-thing figured out, I'll post a pic of him!
Guess the water wasn't that bad after all. At least I'll sleep tonight.

"Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water......" Jaws II

It was going so well...really, it was! I was actually pattin' myself on the back; for the first time since I can't remember when, I was actually putting things BACK ON The Duke.
I re-strung the the seat belt warning wiring harness across the freshly painted floorboard (all the time asking myself "Why"?)....I remember back in the day unplugging the annoying thing.....but whatever. It was there; I put it back. 'Nuff said. Then I reattached the dimmer switch to the floor, and the washer foot pump, two screws apiece. Not a big deal, really, but a 'Micro-Triumph', if you will. Then I took one of the rear seat lap belts, covered in dirt, dust, grime, and (Ewwwww!) mouse pee and stuck it in the laundry tub and scrubbed the living **** out of it (quite literally, I'm guessing) with dish soap (lavender, even!). After reinstalling the seat belt and feeling pretty proud of myself, I stood looking at the progress I'd made. It looked good, really it did. But there was this little, nagging voice in my ear....
See, there was one fresh, virgin, untouched area of which I was quite proud. Underneath the rear sidewall vinyl/cardboard trim panels lay, untouched, the original semi-clear plastic sheeting, still attached over the binding strips of white caulk. Yep, I was quite proud of having something still untouched, unmolested since The Duke left Hamtramck. And here was this little voice telling me to "peel it off and look inside". And it had been, for days. Ever since I pulled the vinyl panels....
I had no intention of tearing that plastic sheeting. It was pristine; untouched. Maybe the only part on this car left unmolested.
I must've stared at it for 10 minutes. Then, curiosity got the best of me, and I popped out the tiny, half-inch plastic plug on the top of the doorpost and peered inside with my penlight.
SON OF A *****! RUST!
Why did I have to look? Why?
I looked for a bit; peered in, still reluctant for some reason, to peel off that virgin plastic. Until, that is, I heard the Duke barking; "Saddle Up...We're burning Daylight!" Without a further moment's hesitation, I ripped off the plastic like a chimp unwrapping a Twinkie.
In hindsight, I guess it wasn't that bad. A couple hours with a scraper, sandpaper, shop vac and an air hose rendered the flaky stuff gone, and no obvious permanent damage (other than the clear plastic sheeting). Repeating the same monkey-motion on the other side revealed pretty much the same; a little worse, but no rust holes. I'm sure a can of the old faithful Rust Converter followed up with a shot of rust proofing will render The Duke pretty much cancer-free (until I find more, somewhere....and I know I will.)
As a neat little party favor, I found this neat little "Furbie" thing hiding behind the plastic....a little round puff-thing about the size of a golf ball with glued-on plastic feet and eyeballs...how the blue blazes it ever got there, or how long it's been there is beyond me! Anyway, I 'liberated' the poor little bastard and made him pose for a photo shoot. If I can ever get this Flickr photo-thing figured out, I'll post a pic of him!
Guess the water wasn't that bad after all. At least I'll sleep tonight.
:coffee2:"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway" as the Duke said . . . . who's afraid of a little rust??? lol Rog

Cleaned-up safety belt:
9784953532_feffb5b0b3.jpg

Virgin territory.......
9785135195_eb64200417.jpg

......and what lurks inside: (if you look closely in photo #2 you can see the Furbie peeking out)
9785146976_328a780832.jpg

9784925391_627f9a70f6.jpg

Slightly disheveled hitch-hiker, liberated!
9784916101_2f2bb3a1e6.jpg

Excellent write up.

Have you ever considered a propane torpedo heater for the garage?
I bought one last year to replace my old kerosine one last winter.
They are about $125 bucks from Lowes and hook up to your gas grill tank.

Also I also lost the bike craving, traded my 08 Buell XB-X12 that I bought new for a Challenger this summer.

Louie...were you there? GREAT SHOW!!!! Just not enough Mopars for my liking.
Sorry, just now saw this. You're right, not enough mopars. I did take a bunch of pictures though.

Ok, quick question. Were you going to put any sound proofing or anti-heat pad under the carpet? Reason I ask is I saw where someone used the stuff made for roofing. It's quite pliable and CHEAP! I think it will help on the floor after headers are in and also the roof under the headliner.

Ok, quick question. Were you going to put any sound proofing or anti-heat pad under the carpet? Reason I ask is I saw where someone used the stuff made for roofing. It's quite pliable and CHEAP! I think it will help on the floor after headers are in and also the roof under the headliner.

Captain let me know if I am overstaying my welcome on your thread.

Beware of roofing insulation to use in place of dynamat. if it smells like tar/asphault now, what will your car smell like on a hot day?

Excellent write up.

Thanks!

Have you ever considered a propane torpedo heater for the garage?
I bought one last year to replace my old kerosine one last winter.
They are about $125 bucks from Lowes and hook up to your gas grill tank.

No...but given the enormity of this project, I may give it a try. I can't afford a four-month lay-off

Also I also lost the bike craving, traded my 08 Buell XB-X12 that I bought new for a Challenger this summer.

I haven't lost the bike craving, just put it on hold to give The Duke his time in the saddle. This is turning into a much larger endeavor than I ever envisioned, and it's gonna take a lot of concentration and attention, with no time for the bikes. They'll still be there when I finish..:D
You might notice the Furbie is perched on my Handy Lift, right behind my Seca....

Louie; have not decided yet. It's still an open option.

Captain let me know if I am overstaying my welcome on your thread.

Not at all! I don't write this stuff for me, I already know it!
I do appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. I've already made several 'executive decisions' based on comments or suggestions from other FABO members.

Beware of roofing insulation to use in place of dynamat. if it smells like tar/asphault now, what will your car smell like on a hot day?

Point taken!

I'd like to take a moment here to thank FABO member 67Dart273 for helping me figure out how to post my photos from Flickr's New, Improved (a.k.a. "Retarded") site.
I am beginning to believe these software geeks change things just to screw with our minds...hey geeks-if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Of course the techno geeks change things just because. Or I think its the big boys around the big dollar maple tables.

-
Back