Captainkirk's Duster project

-
Ahh hel no cap' taint going down with no damn ship keep it up cap't always awaiting the new updates I can hear those tire quiver in fear the Duke needs to punish them

My one partner's reaction was typical...he seized my hand and shook it..."Congrats, man!"
He was truly happy for me, being as how we were in the same boat.
Our other partner...well, not so much.
When I gave him the news, he was not exactly overjoyed. I had planned on putting in a few hours a week at my old position as the new job availed, which I did the first couple weeks or so, but his now-cold attitude toward me coupled with the obvious fact that there would be no back pay coming (I was stll two paychecks in arrears) and none forthcoming, made me realize it was simply time to walk away, though I still retained partial ownership in the company.
And that's pretty much the way we left it up to today...

There are, of course, more details that I've left out for the moment. Purposely. Maybe when things have settled some I can uncover some of them into the open light, but let's leave it here, for the moment....shall we?

So....what does all this have to do with The Duke...and my resto project?
Nothing. And everything.
See, I went from having nothing to fund my Duke project...seriously...NOTHING....to having the funds to forge ahead, albeit slowly.
Starting a new job is one thing, but this was different from anything I'd done for some time. Getting used to the new job, the new airplane I was taking care of, and learning the airplane itself, the engines and systems sucked a lot of energy out of me. Not making excuses, you understand, just stating the facts. By the time I got back from aircraft-specific training at the end of July, I realized it would be fruitless to start on The Duke for this season. The mojo just wasn't there. The summer was half-over. I realized 2014 was gonna have to be a 'bye' year on The Duke. And I was OK with that. I hope you are too.
And that brings us, friends, to...now.
A solid foot of now blankets the ground outside. My garage is stuffed to bursting with things I shouldn't have out there, with no room to even maneuver. Come spring, I know I have to do the Mother of all Spring Cleanings, and work on my 'facilities' out there as well; new shelving, finish insulating and paneling, more lighting, upgraded wiring....and that's just for starters. All in good time. But right now, the urge to get back to doing something; anything! on The Duke is strong, almost overpowering. Where there's a will, there's a way. Or so the saying goes. Soon, very soon, I will pick a spot and start drilling. And report every heartbeat to you good folks.
Stay tuned!

Yeah, I probably got three years worth of 'regular' work done in 2013 during my last feeding frenzy. If I come anywhere close this year....with added funds available....I should make some DGP. (damn good progress). Hope to have The Duke sitting on all four wheels by mid summer. And that's a pretty lofty goal. But do-able.

Don't quote me on this, but....
I am now hatching up an evil plot to (possibly) bring my block and lower end parts to work here and have a nice, warm assembly room. Not only would this clear me out some garage space, it would also allow me to get started on things sooner (not to mention the invigorated feeling one gets when building a kick-*** motor). Have to check with the Powers That Be first, of course. Will keep you boys in the loop.

Don't quote me on this, but....
I am now hatching up an evil plot to (possibly) bring my block and lower end parts to work here and have a nice, warm assembly room. Not only would this clear me out some garage space, it would also allow me to get started on things sooner (not to mention the invigorated feeling one gets when building a kick-*** motor). Have to check with the Powers That Be first, of course. Will keep you boys in the loop.

Ohboy!!:blob:

Drove my youngest son up to drop off his engine with Tony (Don's Automotive...my engine guy, if you will recall from many pages back). They were all talking Pontiac stuff, (yeah, I know...what can you say about today's youth?) but I got a chance to throw a few more ideas his way. We had a veeeeery interesting conversation. Looks like I might be dropping my heads off soon.
Time to pull that little 340 out of storage and start building that sucker!

Yeah, they did my x-head work. Bowl blend, pocket port. I was thinking about going to them for the machining when I'm ready.

Yeah, they did my x-head work. Bowl blend, pocket port. I was thinking about going to them for the machining when I'm ready.

Tony is an extremely knowledgeable individual. He did all my block work and balancing. Top-notch. And he doesn't force things on you. He puts the facts out there and lets you make up your mind.

I got some basic prices from them, pretty reasonable. And this close to the lake they also work on marine applications. Last year looking for coil for new distributor, some guy had them do his marine 318, and was happy with them. Plus he's on speaking terms and return customer, plus they been around a long time says a lot for me. Thanks Cap'n.

Louie, I looked for a shop for a long time before choosing Tony. Everyone else within driving distance was a high roller or a major bullshitter. Tony took the time to LISTEN to me; not tell me how "he was gonna build my engine" and made some suggestions, but nothing pushy. He leaves you in control.
You do know he recently moved again, right?

Yeah, they're back on 39th Ave/ Lewis for you in Illinois. LOL. Just south of the Infusino Italian restaurant. Used to be a limo provider? A whole lot bigger than where they were. I am looking forward to info on what he does.

Yeah, they're back on 39th Ave/ Lewis for you in Illinois. LOL. Just south of the Infusino Italian restaurant. Used to be a limo provider? A whole lot bigger than where they were. I am looking forward to info on what he does.

isn't that where specialty machine used to be?

Not sure what WAS there, but it's pretty much kitty-corner from where it was originally located. Much easier to find/get to than the 60th St. location. You can see the Infusino's sign from inside his showroom.
And yeah, Louie; I still call it "Lewis".

Engine Questions?????

1. will it be the same as "Back in the day"

2.I have some engine paint from eastwood left over its the teal/green color I uploaded a picture up to my restoration thread "The Phoenix" if you want I can ship it to u as well as my bottle of activator. There is over 1/2 a can left over after doing 3 coats on the block and transmission.

Please let me know

1. will it be the same as "Back in the day"

Yup...that's the plan, anyway! Old School tarmac terror.....

2.I have some engine paint from eastwood left over its the teal/green color I uploaded a picture up to my restoration thread "The Phoenix" if you want I can ship it to u as well as my bottle of activator. There is over 1/2 a can left over after doing 3 coats on the block and transmission.

I'm subscribed to your thread (great project, BTW!!!) but could not remember seeing or find pictures of the motor painted in Teal. Sounds very interesting! I would really like to see some shots of it if you can direct me to the page?

Not sure what WAS there, but it's pretty much kitty-corner from where it was originally located. Much easier to find/get to than the 60th St. location. You can see the Infusino's sign from inside his showroom.
And yeah, Louie; I still call it "Lewis".

LOL, I still love ya.

Moi? A packer backer? No way in hell! Navy blue and orange all the way. LOL

I got some basic prices from them, pretty reasonable. And this close to the lake they also work on marine applications. Last year looking for coil for new distributor, some guy had them do his marine 318, and was happy with them. Plus he's on speaking terms and return customer, plus they been around a long time says a lot for me. Thanks Cap'n.

Just for kicks, I was off to the side looking at stuff and eavesdropping on the conversation between him and my son. Again, very pleased to say, "No bullshit". The man knows his motors and doesn't try to shove 'his way' down your throat (or my son's, who was standing there with a big wad of bills). He told him what he recommended and also told him what he thought (in his opinion) was unnecessary....how often do you hear that these days? I will bring the rest of my machining there as well for my 340 build. Count on it.

Great to have a income you may count on! Happy for you. I may smell motivation in this thread now;-)

Hows wheather? Reading in the news you guys have got even more snow? Over here, everything is raining away....

-
Back