Car condition scale?

-

cojohnso

Reaction score
I have been trying to start a "Car's condition scale" with some success. The scale is 0-5. Where "0" is really non existence sence you need at least a rusted out frame laying there to judge? And "5" being non existence sence nothing is "Perfect" ( I know the concourse have judged a couple cars "100" flawless. But I believe they didn't look hard enough. Lol.)

0.0 - 0.9 Is a frame, VIN, and or tag.
1.0 - 1.9 is a frame and shell. (Needs WORK)
2.0 - 2.9 is a runner Or very decent non runner starting point.
3.0 - 3.9 is a solid runner in very good shape or higher restoration beginnings of a non runner.
4.0 - 4.9. Show level and collector car quality.

Below is a quick walk around vid of my current street GTX. Because it's non numbers matching and/or not a higher end performance restomod? I believe it cannot be in the "4.0+" arena. Current condition I would consider a 3.2.

I believe 3.5 is what most enthusiasts really like. A car that can show decent. But not afraid to drive. Thus price would reflect that 3.5 rating. (Of course car make and demand is the other primary cost factor.)

Rating is only for cars 20 years old or older.

I think the scale needs a wider range of values. Too many nuances of condition to consider.

I think the scale needs a wider range of values. Too many nuances of condition to consider.
It's 50 with single 10th. But you might be right. The real question is we don't have any good measuring metric? So we just jabber? Lol.

It's 50 with single 10th. But you might be right. The real question is we don't have any good measuring metric? So we just jabber? Lol.
Nope, the market decides. People buy what they like and condition estimates don’t influence that much. Numbers matching doesn’t mean what it used to, total condition holds more weight these days.

People want to buy and drive. Show sometimes. Purism is a rare section of the market these days.

For example, minimal rust, good paint and interior plus mechanical soundness and reliability means more to 90% of people these days than numbers or rarity. They want a nice vintage car that sits quietly in the garage during the week and reliably runs on the weekend when they want to cruise it or take it to the local car show for fun. They don’t want to work on it.

Your GTX ticks all of those boxes making it a 95%+ on a buyers scale.

And don't want to work on it :rofl:that's a good one!
Well, it’s sad...but true.

They will pay someone to work on it, but not too often. If they need to have it worked on too frequently, they will ditch it for something else.

As car guys who are used to turning wrenches, we have to recognize that reality if we intend to sell our cars on the open market. We are the rare few who like working on the machine, the vast majority of the buyers don’t.

Making the most of reality doesn’t require liking it, just understanding it.

The accepted scale to grade cars is 1 to 6 with 1 being the highest and 6 being the lowest. Why would you want to create one that is completely opposite of that?
Car Conditions: What The Numbers Mean | Hagerty Media
I've never seen that scale. Or hear of anyone using 1-6. But usually any idea has already been thought. The only scale I've heard is concourse judging. Where 100 is flawless. (But I believe that scale is not just condition, quality of build. But also on originality.) The problem? I've never heard a number for an average build? Would it be a 50? I only hear 95 and up? (Maybe those tea sippers are that snooty? Anything lower is unworthy of a rating?)

Last edited:
-
Back