Car damaged during shipping?

-

UPSTATE340

Reaction score
I need some help/advice, I’m hoping I’m not screwed too bad.

I bought a car from several states away, not in the best of shape, but its What I was looking for mostly. The car included some extras as part Of the sale, some of them never made it to me. The seller blames The shipper and the shipper blames the seller. The seller is trying hard to Make that right for me.

The bigger problem is physical damage to the car. I have pictures of the car Dated from the day before I purchased the car. There is no visible Body damage to the car. The car shows up and the front passenger fender And door are damaged/dented so bad I can’t even kick the door open. Again, the seller And shipper blame each other. The shipper is a known insured shipper, I’m not saying anyone’s name in this because I don’t what to ruin anyone’s Name over this YET. The car looks like it has been hit pretty hard. The seller wasn’t At the house at the time of pickup and the shipper didn’t describe any body damage To me during pickup other than rust in the quarters. The seller says he’s willing to do his part to help me out on this with supporting pictures
And his word as to the condition of the car prior to it being shipped. The seller is really doing his part to help me out on this.

Are there any avenues anyone thinks I can take to get this taken care of? I’ve really faith in a lot that was good in the hobby over this.

Thanks for help in advance.

well..it sound as it started WRONG. when we had our car shipped from calif. to Maryland. my seller was there when the car was being loaded taking photos...that's when I sent the 95% of the $$$ through paypal. when the car arrived the shipper had his paper with a generic image of the car with any/all issues on car...like when you rent a car..all was good except the dam salt spray from the 2650 mile trip..call your LAYWER...$200 well spent.

Depends on who made the contract with the shipper. If it was the seller, then it's his dispute. Good luck.

Thanks, I was the one involved with the shipper. I thought all would be good since they are a legit company with insurance. I would be happy if the shipper gave me 250 to cover the cost of a door and fender.

The shipper knows who they are too, and I would hope they would contact me.

The time between the pre-purchase pictures and the shipping date may be a factor if the shipping company claims the damage was there when they picked the car up. Seller dropped the ball by not being there when it was shipped. Shipping company should have noted that type of damage to cover their tails too so this may be a long drawn out he said he said. Really sorry to hear about it. Hope somebody makes it right.

the shipping company is supposed to take a physical look at the car and note any damage at the time of the shipping. it is supposed to be signed off by the shipper (seller) and then upon reciept the new owner will go over the sheet and inspect for any new damage incurred during the shipping of the car. the shipper is fully insured if it is a good carrier to cover any damages. here is one in action during one of the may times my car got shipped in it's life. this is on it's way to wisconsion (sp)...

inspection.jpg

Yeah, I don't think any of that ever happened. Shipper just game me a call, noted nothing about body damage.

Besides any written inspection forms, I would think that with digital pictures being cheap and easy to take, they would document the car's condition with photos as well. Take them when you pick the car up and if theres no problem on delivery, delete them. Any disputes would be easily resolved if both parties had pictures before and after shipping.

I sold my 67 Hemi Coronet R/T convertible through Ebay about 9 years ago. The buyer arranged for shipping...I recommended that he use Horseless Carrage, or one of the other well known and established carriers, but he went with a cheaper company. I was there when the car was loaded on the car carrier, I took pictures of the car from multiple angles, the engine, interior, wheels and tires, the truck, truck driver...in all about 30 different pictures. Before leaving, the driving filled out a shippers report that told the condition of the car when he loaded it. I faxed that report to the buyer and emailed him all the pictures so I was covered. When the car arrived to him, the clutch was blown, rear tires were shot, there was a dent in the front fender but the worse thing was the engine and engine compartment were covered in oil. The buyer called me to, basically to chew me out thinking that the car wasn't what it was advertised as, and mentioned there was a "button headed allen bolt laying on the K frame" I said "What !, that is a motor mount bolt!" It seems the truck driver (who later admitted to)took the car of the truck, beat the crap out of it, Downshifted into first while going 55 MPH, tearing the mount out of the side of the hemi block. The buyer contacted a lawyer and ended up sueing the driver and the trucking company. Did you get any paperwork as far as condition reports and why wasn't the seller there when the car was picked up ?

Yeah, I don't think any of that ever happened. Shipper just game me a call, noted nothing about body damage.

man that is tuff. dosen't sound like a good company. i think the seller being on your side may help ,but it sounds like a "he said she said" kinda thing. hope it works out.

It's definantly a he said he said thing, and I'm pretty sure who i believe isn't going to help me. The seller and I both have pictures taken prior to the sale, and of course I have the one from delivery. I think that's my only hope and that the shipper will own up to it/make it right or get some less than ideal press. IF the shipper doesn't I can still take legal action, time, damages, fees I should all be able to recuperate. I'm pretty sure the pictures tell the whole story.

Well, if the shipper doesn't settle with a dollar amount for you, make sure you let people know who they are. Wouldn't want that to happen to someone else.

Definantly. If they can make it right then they dont deserve to be dragged through the mud, even though it looks like that's where it's going I want to give them the chance to make it right. But if not, I want people to know.

When i bought one of my previous dusters it was shipped from Neb. to Mass. a driver report was made before loading,and after it got to my house,i was on vacation and had just got back when i called looking for the car it was at a yard used by the shipping company only problem was it was dirty from sitting outside at the yard it was transported in an enclosed trailer from Neb. to Mass. i called D.A.S. the company i used' and they agreed to pay to have the car detailed..:-D

This was my first time shipping a car and I expected the shipping company to know the proper way of doing things. It looks like things didnt happen like they should have.

Whenever I had cars shipped the shipping company did an inspection of the car noting any damage. It sounds like the shipping company did not do their job. I believe you have a case to file an insurance claim with the shipper.

I agree, the shipper should have their own inspection built into the process- that is how they protect themselves from lawsuits. They actually have 2 inspections, 1 when loaded, 1 when delivered.
So, whatever they call the inspection they do before they load it, you need to ask for a copy of it, and if they cannot produce it, it is probably written into the fine print as far as what they would be responsible for if they could not produce one.

Call the shipper and pretend you are a new customer and ask them if the do inspections before and after, then call back and ask for your copy of the initial inspection.

-
Back