Car dies in left turn??

-

Valiantsignet20

Reaction score
OK heres the problem. When you make a left turn or hard curve the engine dies. Runs great straight or when I turn right. I just had a new tank put in and a new 750 holley. I pulled the tank to see if anything is floating in there and nothing. Was the original tank baffled? I bought the new tank from year one and it's a high quality tank from Canada. Has anyone else ran into this problem with the repo tanks? I dont have the fuel sock on the pickup could this cause it? And no to the smarta$$es out there I won't just turn right.

Check and see if it is a spectra gas tank.These tanks have little to no baffles in them and are crap for causing problems if you have less than 1/4 tank of gas.See if the problem happens with a 1/2 tank of gas,and at different levels under that.One way to solve the problem is to increase the 5/16 tube to 3/8 in the sending unit,and to make sure the tube sits 1/4-3/8 of a inch above the tank bottom.Post back with your findings.Mrmopartech

I'm gonna guess the float levels on the carb may not be the same.

After it dies have you popped the air cleaner off and noticed if you can get gas out of the carb? Have you narrowed it down to being an issue from the fuel pump back, or at the carb?

:salut:

Are you sure it's fuel?
I had a situation years ago that every time I turned left the fuse for the directionals would blow. I tore into the colum looking for a short and it turned out a wire would contact the exhaust manifold when I made a left turn. It was for a circuit that the FSM wiring diagrams didn't show that was tied to that fuse.

First thing is to ascertain if it's a fuel or fire problem. Start the car in the driveway, turn the wheels as far to the left as possible, and see if it dies. If not, then it's probably a fuel problem and not a short in the wiring.

I've tried all of the above now. Sock, Carb adjusted, Every wire wiggled while car was runing. I unbolted all the ignition grounds and scraped the scale off. I tried turning the wheel while idleling. It does it when it's in motion still. One reason I don't believe it's electrical is it doesn't loose power (electrical) and the car fires right back up as soon as the suspension (car) settles. Sometimes all I have to do is pop the clutch and it comes back to life.

It done it only once today with a full tank. Is there anything in the pump that can be effected by cetrifigal (sp?) force? I know the filter is working because its clear and the fuel flows through it at idle. I haven't been able to check it when it happens because I'm always in traffic. If I get this figured out I'll let yall know. I am going to try to make a baffle around the pick-up tube tomorrow.
Thanks

I had this problem with a 74 Scamp 318 I had,,,except it did it on right turns,,,I put in one of those dial type fuel regulators before the carb,,,I believe I kept it at about 5 but cant remember for sure,,,,but it did solve my problem...good luck

you need a sock. it helps keep the line clean as well as the pump. I would say check the floats in the front bowl of the carb and see if they are set correctly. park it level, start it, put a rag under the fuel sight plug and open it. if it barely trickles out, its set fine. if it doesnt at all, raise the float.

I would be suprised if it was a fuel problem, even if the pump quit pumping fuel for 5 or 10 seconds there should be enough fuel in the bowls to keep it running to complete the turn unless you have fuel injection, they die the exact moment the pump quits pumping. Since it will fire right back up there has to be fuel in the bowls. It has to be an electrical problem, does everything die (radio, lights, etc.) or just the engine?

-
Back