Car not starting

-

Coryduran

Reaction score
Hey guys, new problem. My 65 dodga dart gt won't start. It's on points right now. The car turns over but it won't fire up. I checked to make sur the points are sparking and they are, and fuel is going to the carb. All I can think is maybe I flooded it. Any ideas or help?

Also it started up when I first went out this morning but died while I was putting a different cd in then it wouldn't start again.

Does the rotor turn when you crank it over? Do you have fuel pressure? Is your fuel filter clogged from using gasohol? It can clean out gunk in the tank and plug a filter. If you think you flooded it keep the pedal to the floor until it fires up. Just a few thoughts.

I didn't specifically watch the rotor, but I'm getting sparks in the plugs so I'm assuming it's turning. I haven't used gasohol and the filter seems to be fine, plus I'm getting gas into the carb. It's been sitting since this morning at 10:30 so I'm gonna go try and fire it up right now, see if the flooded carb was the culprit. If not then it's back to the drawing board. I've gone and priced out some stuff in case I need to do some replacing.

So I went back to the car, tried to start it, wouldn't fire up, but seemed weak so I hooked up the gfs car to it to jump it, tried again, still no fire. Checked the rotor to be sure, and it's definitely turning. Like I said i'm getting sparks. I'm still not sure what's wrong with this. I doubt it's flooded, it's been sitting for about 7 hours, if it was flooded, it should have been good by now. And there is definitely power in the battery. What I don't get is that it started up, was idling, then it died, and hasn't started back up since.

problem solved. And it was human error. The carb was flooded, as I had suspected. Once I got another car here, I hooked them up on jumpers, and held the pedal down and kept the key turned until it kicked on.

Hey boys, start with the basics. You only need two things to fire a motor, fuel and ignition. Pull off the coil wire from the distributor and hold 1/4 to 1/2" from ground. Spinning the motor should produce a healthy spark. If there is any question about fuel, pour a tablespoon of it directly down the carb. Is it flooded ?, pull a plug and see if it is wet.

-
Back