Car Shopping Etiquette

-

BillO

Reaction score
I would love to hear back from some members who have gone through this.
Have you ever tried to sell a car on the internet before? You get hundreds of e-mails from various types of interested parties; I would describe the experience as going to a proctologist in some case. I love talking to people about cars especially mine but what really upsets me after answering numerous e-mails and taking pictures of every conceivable angle the supposed buyer asks, “ What’s your bottom, bottom line”! When you tell them they reply back with some off the wall reply and you just want to shoot yourself.

· If you only have $10,000 to spend why even bother looking at a car that’s listed for $20,000
· I wish buyers would start negotiations by telling you what they want to spend that way you can end the conversation immediately if their not even close
· If you live on the west coast and the cars on the east coast don’t ask the seller to take less because its going to cost you to ship it don’t look at a car if freight is going to be an issue for you.
· If the cars an automatic don’t tell the seller I would have bought it if it was a 4 speed after torturing him with 50 e-mails
· If the seller tells you he didn’t restore the car why keep asking questions that only the original restorer would know
· If the car is green and you don’t like green don’t bother the seller
· If you want buckets and the cars a bench seat don’t bother the seller
· If you look at pictures of the car and you notice something you don’t like and you would never buy it because of that issue why bother the seller
· If the car is listed non numbers matching and you want numbers matching why bother the seller
· If the seller tells you he’s not an expert or doesn’t know chances are he isn’t
· Chances are the seller knows it’s a bad economy no need to remind him it may not get him to lower the price
· Chances are the seller knows car prices are down from three years ago no reason to remind him of that either if he paid $25,000 for his car three years ago he probably want sell it for $8,000 now
· If you live in Washington State and you would never purchase a car unless you could see it personally why bother a seller in Florida if your not willing to travel

I’m sure you all could add to the list so please do………………………..

what irks me is when someone tells me they will be coming to look at the car at a certain time on a certain day ,and i wait around all day and they never show up or call. then they do it again the next weekend.

When a seller says "firm" or gives his bottom line when asked, don't insult him with a lowball offer.

My biggest peeve is a price negotiation that goes like this:

buyer - "I see you have it listed for $15000, so what is the lowest you'll take for it?"

me - "well, I suppose I would be willing to go as low as $13000"

buyer - "would you take $10000?"

I like to be straight up with folks but have learned never to disclose my bottom line up front. If they ask what is the lowest I'd go, I just say "it's listed for $X, what are you willing to offer?"

Why do people try and see how much lower you will go BEFORE they even look at the car?

If the asking price is $10,000 don't try and see if he will go $7500 before you even look it over, they already stated the price is $10,000 take the time to look it over before you make an offer, your just showing how much of an idiot you are for asking.

What i had happen when i sold my Satellite, I get a call and the guy says he say the pictures of the car, he comes to pick it up, the guy shows up and says its nicer than he thought, too bad its going to be a parts car for my daughters car. He didnt tell me this untill after looking at it.

His daughter had a sweet 67 Satellite convertible.

My car was a running, driving car, with a $5000 rebuild on the 383, and even if you offer me 1,000,000 after telling me your going to use it for parts, i am not going to sell it to you. Yes money talks, but i still decide who i sell my car to. It deserved a lot better that to be taken apart for parts.

Boy was he pissed, he drove from Ca. to Seattle with a car trailer.

-
Back