Car Show Embarrassment

-
Yesterday I brought my car to get trans work done,shop owner asked if I had any leaks that he should look at.I told him my car doesnt leak a drop anywhere.We walked out to car sitting on top of a BIG puddle of water.I had changed the fan belt that morning and had hit the drain valve on my overfill tank to the open position.Was a little embarassed,poop happens,Mark

It happens all the time. My car used to puke out coolant till I stopped topping off the radiator. Leave some room for expansion.

Hey man that kind of stuff happens!, it could be worse. I drove to a car show a couple months ago with a for sale sign on my other car-(not the dart)- it got a lot of attention and multiple immediate phone calls while at the show. When I went to take off the exhaust seemed extremely loud yet staggered so it only sounded loud on one side. Sure enough the exhaust, which was done by midas was done poorly. Midas did a gasket collector fitting on one side and a compression fitting on the other, only instead of using the ford style donut gaskets they flared the pipe thinking that it would hold. Finally the fitting gave way, the collector flange slipped around the flare and embarrassed the hell out of us, I had no tools or straps with me so I got up under it and pushed the pipe up enough to get us home-(live less then a mile up the road, no biggie). As we were pulling out of the parking lot the whole pipe decided it wanted to fall off and be ran over not only were we embarrassed but it side swiped the kick panel and left a hell of a gash. I thought the pipe falling off was bad then it fell off and came out from under the car altogether, had to stop get out and lucky its a hatch back we stuck it in the car and took off.

Days later I took it to the local exhaust bada$$ in town, this guy does work on all the nicest, meanest cars in the high desert. He put a 3/4" flange on with a whole new pipe and also put in an equalizer/ H pipe. The work was sooo much better, definitely professional quality and only cost me 85 bucks out the door to boot!.

Shawn.

I know how you feel. I took myBarracuda to a cruise night. It was "Mopar Night". As I was just pulling in, my car died, and had to push it the last 20 ft or so. I thought my gas gage was wrong and I had ran out of gas, so I got som gas but it still wouldn't run. I knew it wasn't getting gas. Someone helped out and poured some down the carb and I made it home. Turned out that the little piece of fuel tube by the gas tank had dry rotted so it wasn't pulling gas.

Coolant, that's nothing!

In 2002, I bought my '65 Chrysler and a month later went down to the Woodward Cruise in Detroit. This is arguably the biggest old car event anywhere!

Stopped for gas, and still wasn't quite used to how big this car is, so the hose was stretched pretty far to get to the filler. Started the pump going and went to get the windshield squeegy. Got about 5 feet away when the nozzle came out of the filler, stayed locked on, and proceded to spray gas across the pavement for 4 or 5 seconds before I could grab it.

-
Back