Car show observations and experiences....

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
  1. I enjoy car shows. My favorites are the shows with the swap meet on site. I try to make every Mopar show in my state but my favorite is the Spring Fling in Van Nuys CA. They hold the show in a nice city park. Plenty of grass, trees for shade, picnic tables for snack time.
    This past weekend I was there for the 16th time in the Spring. They have a show in the Fall but I usually only make that show every other year.
    The forecast of rain scared off lots of people. Their car count on Saturday was about half of their average. Sunday was much better, presumably because no rain was expected.
    As I walked the show cars on Sunday, I was approached by a guy that I have never liked.
    We all have these guys that we know. People that are annoying or just plain weird. This guy gives most people the creeps. You almost feel the need to take a shower after being near the guy. He used to live in Northern CA and was a member of our local Mopar club but moved south several years ago. I thought I was rid of him when he moved. Now, every time I go to the show in Van Nuys, I see this guy. Now, just talking to the guy I get the feeling that he must be into some odd ****. He is in his 50s, never married, works in politics as a lobbyist and stands too damn close. After watching several episodes of Criminal Minds over the years, I wonder if the guy has heads in his freezer or samples of womens hair he collected without them knowing.
    This guy comes up to me while I'm looking at the cars. He wants me to look at his Road Runner to help with a "No-Start" problem. I tell him I'd head over after looking at the cars.
    Oh, Okay, I'll just walk along with you. Oh GREAT!
    This dork followed me like a lost puppy. I was civil to him but NOT trying to extend any conversation, making short responses to his various ramblings. Finally we make it through the cars and headed over to look at his car.
    It wouldn't start yesterday so I bought a battery. This morning it was dead again and needed a jump start.
    I looked at the battery cables. The NEG cable was so loose, an emphysema patient could BLOW and knock the terminal off the battery. I twisted it and told him to twist the key. It fired right up.
    Did you check this battery terminal when you installed the battery?
    Uhhh, I had my mechanic install it.
    (I would feel like an idiot to have someone else install a battery or change my tire. How does a car guy let someone else do such basic stuff on their car?)
    THEN I tried to duck out...."Okay, I'm going to check out the swap meet again."
    Oh, maybe I'll tag along to see if there is anything I need.
    Son of a *****. This ****** is about the most clueless dork you can imagine. I keep trying to politely get away and he hangs on like dog **** on a work boot.
    Hey..Why don't you get with some of the guys in the car club to walk you through some of the basics about these cars? Surely there are plenty of people that could help you out.
    A, well... they like to razz me because they know I'm in politics.
    Really? That would only be a problem if you were some jerkoff Liberal.
    (Here it comes... the MONEY shot)
    Well, I DID vote for Hillary Clinton.
    Ever have a point in a situation where EVERYthing just instantly makes sense?
    THIS was it.
    I told the guy that I had to walk away. I couldn't bring myself to be polite to the guy anymore.

1. I enjoy car shows. My favorites are the shows with the swap meet on site. I try to make every Mopar show in my state but my favorite is the Spring Fling in Van Nuys CA. They hold the show in a nice city park. Plenty of grass, trees for shade, picnic tables for snack time.
    This past weekend I was there for the 16th time in the Spring. They have a show in the Fall but I usually only make that show every other year.
    The forecast of rain scared off lots of people. Their car count on Saturday was about half of their average. Sunday was much better, presumably because no rain was expected.
    As I walked the show cars on Sunday, I was approached by a guy that I have never liked.
    We all have these guys that we know. People that are annoying or just plain weird. This guy gives most people the creeps. You almost feel the need to take a shower after being near the guy. He used to live in Northern CA and was a member of our local Mopar club but moved south several years ago. I thought I was rid of him when he moved. Now, every time I go to the show in Van Nuys, I see this guy. Now, just talking to the guy I get the feeling that he must be into some odd ****. He is in his 50s, never married, works in politics as a lobbyist and stands too damn close. After watching several episodes of Criminal Minds over the years, I wonder if the guy has heads in his freezer or samples of womens hair he collected without them knowing.
    This guy comes up to me while I'm looking at the cars. He wants me to look at his Road Runner to help with a "No-Start" problem. I tell him I'd head over after looking at the cars.
    Oh, Okay, I'll just walk along with you. Oh GREAT!
    This dork followed me like a lost puppy. I was civil to him but NOT trying to extend any conversation, making short responses to his various ramblings. Finally we make it through the cars and headed over to look at his car.
    It wouldn't start yesterday so I bought a battery. This morning it was dead again and needed a jump start.
    I looked at the battery cables. The NEG cable was so loose, an emphysema patient could BLOW and knock the terminal off the battery. I twisted it and told him to twist the key. It fired right up.
    Did you check this battery terminal when you installed the battery?
    Uhhh, I had my mechanic install it.
    (I would feel like an idiot to have someone else install a battery or change my tire. How does a car guy let someone else do such basic stuff on their car?)
    THEN I tried to duck out...."Okay, I'm going to check out the swap meet again."
    Oh, maybe I'll tag along to see if there is anything I need.
    Son of a *****. This ****** is about the most clueless dork you can imagine. I keep trying to politely get away and he hangs on like dog **** on a work boot.
    Hey..Why don't you get with some of the guys in the car club to walk you through some of the basics about these cars? Surely there are plenty of people that could help you out.
    A, well... they like to razz me because they know I'm in politics.
    Really? That would only be a problem if you were some jerkoff Liberal.
    (Here it comes... the MONEY shot)
    Well, I DID vote for Hillary Clinton.
    Ever have a point in a situation where EVERYthing just instantly makes sense?
    THIS was it.
    I told the guy that I had to walk away. I couldn't bring myself to be polite to the guy anymore.
And then you woke up from a bad dream?

That's a good show but I like Turlock better,maybe because it is all types of cars and parts. And I am happy to say I don't believe I know the guy but without getting political, I certainly know the type.

Yep, there's bound to be the occasional guy that just rubs one the wrong way. But overall, my experience with car shows is very positive. It is one of the few places the kids and I hang out with people from all kinds of backgrounds and beliefs, yet share a common interest/passion. Around here color, politics and preferences doesn't seem to hinder a good time. Heck even the import crowd appreciates a cool, well built car. And I've checked out some very sweet, and badass imports and cool owners at the get-togethers as well. It's good that my kids see the good side of people in this trying day and age.

Be well folks,
Pat

Last edited:
Not limited to car shows, in fact less of a ratio of raving nutballs at car shows than in the general public.
I long for the days of more normal people and less folks who are as I like to put it "nuttier than squirrel ****"

If you think you are creeped out with some car show weirdos.......come live a day in my life.

First i am labeled stupid, because only guys know cars.....right.

Had guys tell me stuff about my own car that they assumed i didn't already know and half of what they say, i would call bs on.

I don't really do car shows any more because it's way too clanish and fixed.
Hopfully its just my area, not too many mopars around here. Plus i am snooty in my own way because i dont want my car mixed with too much with imports and new cars that i would hardly call "show cars"

Many might disagree with me but i find older car guys more pleasent to hang out with. When i go to a show with older baby boomers, they seem to appreciate a car from the 60s and have better conversation.
Guys from my generation, millennial guys don't appreciate a stock 60s look because they don't get it. They mostly seem to have something to prove and talk to girls like they own us.

A millennial guy sat there telling me his new mustang had more horsepower than my 68 dart....to which my reply was " i am happy for you"

Older gents don't seem to act stupid and are better listeners. IMO

I find it more fun these days to go to the car wash on a summer day and then cruise around all day than doing a car show.
:)

1. As I walked the show cars on Sunday, I was approached by a guy that I have never liked.
    We all have these guys that we know. People that are annoying or just plain weird. This guy gives most people the creeps. You almost feel the need to take a shower after being near the guy. He used to live in Northern CA and was a member of our local Mopar club but moved south several years ago. I thought I was rid of him when he moved.

And this is why I don't join car clubs. Too much drama and who likes who...

I don't do any car shows where you have to register or be judged.
I like the informal type shows, bring whatever in whatever shape. 1900's - 2017's... I don't discriminate when it comes to cool or fast cars. Car people are car people when you really get down past all the bullshit.

I don't care to set up camp next to my car and listen to comments. If I notice someone with a genuine interest I might introduce myself. Generally I pull in, park ( next to a classic Mopar if there is another), pop the hood, and go wander around to look at the other cars. When I get done I might talk cars for awhile with just about anybody, or I might just go do what I built my car to do....DRIVE!
;-)

Original car and owner 34,000mi
20170326_103859.jpg

20170401_200038.jpg

My friends' 68 Formula S and 65 Dart
20160820_092402.jpg

20160619_140855.jpg

Original 40,000mi
20160619_101732.jpg

Last edited:
I'm with Knuckledeuster. I like the street shows where you can park and walk around and leave when you want to. After about ten minutes I rather be driving anyway.

I make 2 shows each year, the big Mopar show near me and an all makes show in the fall. They are both judged but I don't care as I'll never win, and I'm not there for that. I'm there for seeing cool cars and buying needed parts at the swap and talking to people about their cars, it's always cool to hear the stories behind the cars. Then I enjoy the cruise home.

When I was in Baltimore they used to have some really nice shows, Mopars on the Beach in a state park, but people left a mess and it was moved. Anymore it is mainly Carlisle. I like to go park like I'm in the show, but I just like the Parking. Maybe I'll finish a car one day. My experience is that Mopar Guys and Galls are the best. Real car people are usually good to talk to. I don't care what you have, I can appreciate most cars. I try to be nice, but don't do well with creepers myself. My favorite thing to do, is go through the used parts.

Last edited:
If you think you are creeped out with some car show weirdos.......come live a day in my life.

First i am labeled stupid, because only guys know cars.....right.

Had guys tell me stuff about my own car that they assumed i didn't already know and half of what they say, i would call bs on.

I don't really do car shows any more because it's way too clanish and fixed.
Hopfully its just my area, not too many mopars around here. Plus i am snooty in my own way because i dont want my car mixed with too much with imports and new cars that i would hardly call "show cars"

Many might disagree with me but i find older car guys more pleasent to hang out with. When i go to a show with older baby boomers, they seem to appreciate a car from the 60s and have better conversation.
Guys from my generation, millennial guys don't appreciate a stock 60s look because they don't get it. They mostly seem to have something to prove and talk to girls like they own us.

A millennial guy sat there telling me his new mustang had more horsepower than my 68 dart....to which my reply was " i am happy for you"

Older gents don't seem to act stupid and are better listeners. IMO

I find it more fun these days to go to the car wash on a summer day and then cruise around all day than doing a car show.
:)

First, you are the in the top 5% of car people, with your knowledge and experience. There have always been guys like the millennials you are talking about. I'm lucky I get to hang out with Jim from Racer Brown, my buddy Jeff who has been racing Mopars forever, and all the Mopar faithful from the Baltimore / York PA area. I find I'm not interested in a lot of things, like imports supercharging turbocharging 800 HP on the street. Good people are good people, no matter what their age. Older guys, hopefully have learned a few things, and I know I appreciate more now, than when I was younger. Driving your own car is much better than looking at someone elses. And building your own engine is better than buying one.

I like the Criminal Minds reference. He probably does have heads in his freezer, but there probably guinea pig heads or something.
I'm sure he's harmless, but sounds very annoying.

I'm super sorry I creep you out. As for my battery, I always leave the cables loose....that way the power doesn't leak out. When I had my mechanic add water to my radiator, I asked him to loosen the cable a little more.

You sound just like all the kids in my neighborhood. "You stand too close"..."don't touch me there"... I hear it all the time.

I'm sorry you don't like me. ..I like you a LOT.

Anyway, I gotta go...my mom needs her foot rub.

Chester

OOPS-accidently hit reply too early! Best phrase to use when confronted by someone's car you find hideous, but obviously the owner adores-"not my taste, but I appreciate the effort or passion that went into the car" Using this phrase has saved my rearend at many shows!

I'm super sorry I creep you out. As for my battery, I always leave the cables loose....that way the power doesn't leak out. When I had my mechanic add water to my radiator, I asked him to loosen the cable a little more.
You sound just like all the kids in my neighborhood. "You stand too close"..."don't touch me there"... I hear it all the time.
I'm sorry you don't like me. ..I like you a LOT.
Anyway, I gotta go...my mom needs her foot rub.
Chester

???????

I keep thinking that one year I'll be at the show and the Sex Crime squad will rush in and arrest the guy for some deviant, perverse offense.

car shows.... never entered on. if the sow needs a donation to a charity I rather give them a few bucks. I moved to se texas back in nov and just now starting to meet a few of the local mopar people. went to little mixed breed show last sat and walked and looked and meet the mopar folks there. meet an "older" mopar guy just down the road and his " car" wife. great contact and people.
like KernDog, I love the swaps so mch better than the show stuff, but mopar swaps are few and I hate to drive 3 hours to a HUG mixed swap looking for parts. I will drive 3 hours to a mopar guy than has parts I need and pay him $$!
I have never fit in with the car clubs. must be me!!!!!!!

the people I uually enjoy meeting and talking with at shows are the younger guys that lov e their old car and do their own workand enjoy doing it!!

-
Back