Car Show Tips??

-

ron john

Reaction score
Here's To you Experienced Car Show Experts, Any Tips ,Do's and Dont's??, Any Advice will be Appreciated!!:newb:

I always drive in, park my car and start walking around. I spend very little time at my actual car.

I know some people love to stand around and answer questions, but I'm not one of those people.

Why?........ Because some clown always knows more about my car than I do. Like the "wonder turd" that insisted a 340 was not available in 68.

I know an older guy who has some pretty sweet old cars, Packards, Pierce Arrows etc. and a wall of trophies for them. His number one recommendation when people ask him about what they should do to show their car is, "If it can be seen it's gotta be CLEAN!"

I'm no expert by a long shot but some learnings I have been picking up:

Resist the urge to "protect" your car by parking it on the edge of the show. You want it to be seen and clearly visible, especially for the judges.

Clean, clean and more clean. Oil on a motor may be natural and show that the car gets driven but won't win you a trophy in most shows. I've seen some beautiful cars at shows that don't place because their engine bay looks like crap.

Leave your hood and trunk open - and clean out your trunk. Most shows will judge the trunk too and if it's full of crap it won't get much points no matter how nice it is.

If you live in this area and go to a local show just run out and buy all of the stick on chrome you can find and plaster it all over your car. The judges around here seem to like that crap for some reason ........ :)

If I go to a show I detail the car and put a sign on the front
window. "For Display Only"

I go for the meet-n-greet....love meeting and talking to the
folks.

If it's a cruise in....I pull in, get out and get my chair out. I don't
even wipe it down. Bugs are a sign of driving enjoyment.:D

If you live in this area and go to a local show just run out and buy all of the stick on chrome you can find and plaster it all over your car. The judges around here seem to like that crap for some reason ........ :icon_smi:
Same here, if you want to win best of show, hang all that chrome on a corvette.
For your first couple of shows, you'll really want to put on the dog, after a while, you'll get tired of it. I'd rather not be judged, I have no problem with the fee, if it's for charity or a cause.

Thanks for the Honest answers, I try to keep my car spotless!, Seen a Car win best in class with a dirty Engine with hardly any paint on it!???

Detail detail detail is key don't be the guy who has bought every stick/bolt/glue/decal/slipover piece of crap that the auto parts store has to offer,don't chrome everything under the hood.There's a fine line between tastefully done and obnoxious 80% of folks go over that by a mile.My cuda has a 15 year old cosmetic restoration on it,there's bubbles in the quarters,paint job is not great,interior is ok but i still show it because it is 80% original and not many around here. I'm not intrested in trophys i park pull out my chair and sit by my car and talk to folks that's why i go, basicly just make sure your car is presentable that's all. I have seen very nice cars never get picked, they were beat out by a 2 year old corvette/mustang with a ton of bolt on crap but that's life. We are in this hobby to have fun and enjoy ourselves and preserve a little chunk of history at the same time trophys arn't everything just have fun. [Just examples of my engine bay and display]

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 431
  • 28266_135128606513295_128927790466710_327233_6136562_n.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 412
Some little extras are usually bonus points. Not the dog pissing on the wheel, or the kid on the bumper. Real stuff like pics of your restore, magazine ads that show your year model, stuff like that.
C

Leave your hood down. All the females in the crowd will love your car because they can see it. They will vote for it and you win peoples choice. Worked for me.

just go and enjoy the show never worry about trophies and how your car will display, remember your car is unique because it is yours as long as your are happy with it who cares what the judges think

I'm not a big car show kinda guy. I like very much driving mine and going to cruise in's, I will indeed go to a benefit car show to help who ever is in need. I'm not a trophy hound but I know some here that are, I have won a few and that's ok too.
The only advice I can give you is like everyone else....clean, clean, clean. That is the key.

If I go to a show I detail the car and put a sign on the front
window. "For Display Only"

I go for the meet-n-greet....love meeting and talking to the
folks.

If it's a cruise in....I pull in, get out and get my chair out. I don't
even wipe it down. Bugs are a sign of driving enjoyment.:D

Same here, if you want to win best of show, hang all that chrome on a corvette.
For your first couple of shows, you'll really want to put on the dog, after a while, you'll get tired of it. I'd rather not be judged, I have no problem with the fee, if it's for charity or a cause.

just go and enjoy the show never worry about trophies and how your car will display, remember your car is unique because it is yours as long as your are happy with it who cares what the judges think

These guys are right, NO ONE likes a trophy hunter! Your car should be your trophy. BUT, if your looking to have a nice looking machine that people will rave about... I like to have my car looking nice but never have it judged.
clean/detail/clean/detail. Buff and wax the car, wipe down with detailer when you get there. Keep the engine bay clean. Detail tires. Spray wheel wells with cheap flat or satin black paint from Walmart to hide dirt and help keep rust causing contaminants at bay. Wipe your tire tread off with your hand. Polish any chrome/alum/stainless.

After a while of going to shows, you pick up on what judges like, people like to see and what people are doing.

One other thing, I did enter the show car judged at The Monster Mopar Weekend this past weekend. Only $5.00 more, that's another 5 bucks for
any charity that may have been chosen.

All depends on who is judging, club or participation judging. The latter is where friends vote for their friends and doesn't matter what ya have. If there is no mopar class, good luck!!!! Been there, done that. Good luck!!!!

Down here in my area mopars are not very popular with some judges/clubs besides they are few mopars here as it is, most of them don't see the light of day but twice a year which is sad mine gets out every chance i get and my other one will when we are done with it. We beleve in building our cars to drive not to collect dust.As a matter of fact i'm going to a local cruise in tonight.

Tip's ....Clean, Clean, Clean. not all cluttered up with stuff .... but a clean look.
I have never worried about what the Judges or anyone else thinks of my car ...... some people like it, some pick it apart, some think its down right ugly, I like my car for me.
You can get into some big money trying to be a number one car, and spend a lot of time just keeping it that way. I go to shows but I really don't bother with the judged part ...Cruz-in's are a lot more relaxing. And if it isn't a number one car and does rain, you don't go nuts and call in a trailer to come get you ....ya i have seen that..lol ....Anyway rain will wash the dirt out of the cracks ...lol ... hummm I have heard that some where before.
......John

like everyone else says - clean, clean and more clean. My lil red express is by no means even close to a 100 point show car , but wax and pay attention to detail - underhood and fenderwells, etc.

I've taken the trophy at plenty shows over vehicles twice the value of mine and better cars overall but not detailed - they don't grab your attention at 100 feet - of course bright red, stacks and chrome helps!!!

also, I add details such as original purchase receipts, warranty documents, advertising posters, restoration pictures, etc. - they also grab attention

I much more enjoy looking at cars that have documentation and restoration history and at shows that are participant voted - it makes a difference to some over a bought showcar

Tip's ....Clean, Clean, Clean. not all cluttered up with stuff .... but a clean look.
I have never worried about what the Judges or anyone else thinks of my car ...... some people like it, some pick it apart, some think its down right ugly, I like my car for me.
You can get into some big money trying to be a number one car, and spend a lot of time just keeping it that way. I go to shows but I really don't bother with the judged part ...Cruz-in's are a lot more relaxing. And if it isn't a number one car and does rain, you don't go nuts and call in a trailer to come get you ....ya i have seen that..lol ....Anyway rain will wash the dirt out of the cracks ...lol ... hummm I have heard that some where before.
......John

Hey John

Driving in the rain....that's how we roll brother.

One thing over looked is some cruises have a 50/50 draw to support local food banks..hosptials..shelters etc..I make it a point to support the clubs by buying tickets.
AL

-
Back