Car stuck?

-

Jaytotheme

Lacey's her name, and MOPAR's my game...
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is probably going to sound like a dumb question but I'm new here so please just bare with me... I just bought a 1962 dodge lancer with the push button auto trans, the car does not run or drive, however i was just curious how to put the car in neutral so i can move it? The button for N is pushed in and the parking brake is off...however the car has been sitting for almost 20 years..am i looking at a stuck brake shoe? Or is their more to these cars than i know about?

thank you

Was the parking brake set while sitting? If so, releasing it may not have actually released it as the cables etc could be froze up. You'll just have to look it over and find out what is hung up.

Give it a good shove backwards and if that doesn't do it you are going to be taking brakes apart. :D
As long as the park lever is moving the linkage in the trans anyway.
Neutral doesn't matter as it should roll in any selector position if the park lock is off.

If it moves a little bit back and forth it's probably the park lock not disengaging , and if it won't move at all it's probably froze up brakes.

Was the parking brake set while sitting? If so, releasing it may not have actually released it as the cables etc could be froze up. You'll just have to look it over and find out what is hung up.
actually yes...im guessing it was on for a few years, when i released it the pedal did snap back to its regular position but the wheels still wont even budge an inch!

Give it a good shove backwards and if that doesn't do it you are going to be taking brakes apart. :D
As long as the park lever is moving the linkage in the trans anyway.
Neutral doesn't matter as it should roll in any selector position if the park lock is off.

If it moves a little bit back and forth it's probably the park lock not disengaging , and if it won't move at all it's probably froze up brakes.
yes the park lever does move back and forth, weather or not its connected to anything is a different story lol...but it does move for sure, just curious...the wheels don't even move at all, not an inch meaning no rocking back and forth...so I'm guessing no transmission issues...only brake issues lol

yes the park lever does move back and forth, weather or not its connected to anything is a different story lol...but it does move for sure, just curious...the wheels don't even move at all, not an inch meaning no rocking back and forth...so I'm guessing no transmission issues...only brake issues lol

Sounds right to me.

Well, if the parking brake was set and it sat for a long time I would make a guess as to this is where you need to start.

Just because the parking brake appeared to have released, doesn't mean the actual cable going to the rear brakes did!

I would start there, jack the car up and see if the wheel will turn, do this on both rear wheels. If they don't, then dollars to donuts the cables have seized in the outer sheath and will need to be dealt with.

IF that is the case, and I suspect it is, the wheels and drum will need to come off and somehow get the parking brake cable disconnected. Once disconnected, the wheels should turn freely..

Well, if the parking brake was set and it sat for a long time I would make a guess as to this is where you need to start.

Just because the parking brake appeared to have released, doesn't mean the actual cable going to the rear brakes did!

I would start there, jack the car up and see if the wheel will turn, do this on both rear wheels. If they don't, then dollars to donuts the cables have seized in the outer sheath and will need to be dealt with.

IF that is the case, and I suspect it is, the wheels and drum will need to come off and somehow get the parking brake cable disconnected. Once disconnected, the wheels should turn freely..
Excellent! Then it looks like i have a long day of brake work ahead of me lol....Thank you for all the help! :)

-
Back