car surgeing

-

440nika

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I got a question about my 70' Dart. It has a 440/727 motor and transmission combination. I noticed when I had it out this weekend that at stop signs and red lights the car surges forward with my foot on the brake, if I kick it up into nuetral or park the idleing goes right back to normal. It does it in both drive and reverse. The car will actually stall if I don't kick it into neutral while stopped and running. The car runs fine on the open road with no noticable problems at all. If you have any ideas I'm eager to hear them.
Thanks Dave

How much combination vacuume/mechanical advance do you have in it? Is the distributor in good shape as far as the mechanical advance being too high at idle and not coming back to where it was origionally set at? It sounds like there might be a possability of too much advance. My .02

When was the last time you changed the tranny oil. Is the engine actually speeding up above normal idle speed when it's in gear and stopped at the lights and if so how much.

Everything is freshly rebuilt (motor/tranny) there is less than 300 mile since the car was totaly restored and finished. The engine speed does not increase at all over normal idle. it's just that with the brake pushed when stopped in gear the car will actually surge two or three times than just stall. I haven't had a problem with this at first, I took the car to a car show this weekend and it just started. Thanks Dave

Maybe the distributor mechanical advance springs are too weak, or it's getting vacuum advance at idle, or your convertor is too low a stall for the motor or is binding up. Maybe the brake booster has a leaky diaphram?

Set the e-brake and chock the tires. Then put it in gear without stepping on the brake pedal. If it idles ok now then the brake booster is leaking vacuum.

You can double check it by disconnecting the vacuum hose to the booster and plugging the vacuum source and see if it idles correctly now.

Thanks for the replies guys. The distributor is new and there isn't a brake booster on the car (Manual Brakes) but your the second person that mentioned that trans convertor to me. I currently have a new stock convertor in the trans. I have a new 2800 stall convertor for the car just didn't put it in, I didn't think I needed it. Dave

When I bought my '66 Coronet with 361 V-8 it had old gas in it and it surged like yours is doing. After a few gallons of fresh gas ran through it the problem cleared up. It could be as simple as a case of old or bad gas.

-
Back