Car surges and dies right on starting it

-

SteveC124

Reaction score
I have a slant 6 225.
Again I’m having more trouble with the ignition(mopar electronic). Everything is new except for the pickup on the distributor. So new ballast, ecu, regulator, coil, cap and rotor.
Now Saturday I went to start the car and nothing but crank. No spark out of the coil. So I switched the coil with a working one I had laying around. Now the car will start and then immediately sure he itself up to about 3k rpm, then die. Very quickly. Could it be the distributor pickup going bad. Remember this is electronic ignition.

Oh and the ballast is brand new never used when the car ran could that possibly be faulty. It sounds like it could be that possibly.

I have a slant 6 225.
Again I’m having more trouble with the ignition(mopar electronic). Everything is new except for the pickup on the distributor. So new ballast, ecu, regulator, coil, cap and rotor.
Now Saturday I went to start the car and nothing but crank. No spark out of the coil. So I switched the coil with a working one I had laying around. Now the car will start and then immediately sure he itself up to about 3k rpm, then die. Very quickly. Could it be the distributor pickup going bad. Remember this is electronic ignition.

You have more than one issue my friend, because surging RPM's is never an ignition related issue.
It is possible however that if you have an electric choke that may be holding the RPM's high when you fire it up.

I do have electronic choke but I took it off assuming that may be part of the problem

When I say surge I mean it’ll sing up and die right away. Maybe I’m not describing it very well

When I say surge I mean it’ll sing up and die right away. Maybe I’m not describing it very well

It does sound like a vacuum hose is off, or some other major vacuum leak as brian6pac mentioned.
Try disconnecting everything that has vacuum and plugging them off.
Brake booster, PCV and any vacuum hoses.

What you describe sounds like it would be a pretty big leak like a brake booster or PCV hose.

Well I’m thinkin maybe the new ballast resistor may be faulty on the run side of it. I know you have 12 volts at the coil when cranking and something like 5 when running. Gonna try to bypass the ballast resistor and see what happens. Something tells me it ain’t vacuum though.

-
Back