Car takes ALOT to move it...

-
Reaction score
Ok...so today I had the car running and decided to see if it would move under its own power. So I backed it out of its spot in the driveway and onto the street, where I placed it down into 1st gear on the 727. I let off the brake, but the only way to get the car to move at all is to give it some gas (read...quite a bit of gas), and then it will inch forward. I didn't get on it at all or even try pushing the pedal down too far, but I was just wondering what could possibly cause the car to not want to move at idle/1500 or so RPM.

onehellofadart said:
Taking for granted you checked the trans fluid. Does it do it in both
forward and reverse?
Yes...it does it in both directions...Trans fluid is fine, that was checked before the car even started.

Could not having the kickdown linkage hooked up have anything to do with it?

One thing was when I goosed the throttle a bit with the brakes on, the car wanted to go, I could feel it trying to lunge forward.

Could be a few things. Loose torque converter, I have a 10" about 3000rpms stall. If I put it in gear foot off the gas and brakes it wont move till I give it gas. If I stab the gas pedal the converter will flash to 2500 rpms before the car moves.

Are the breaks dragging ? try adjusting them ? Is something rubbing ? check the tires.
How about wheel bearings ? are they in good shape ? are they to tight ?

AdamR said:
Could be a few things. Loose torque converter, I have a 10" about 3000rpms stall. If I put it in gear foot off the gas and brakes it wont move till I give it gas. If I stab the gas pedal the converter will flash to 2500 rpms before the car moves.

Are the breaks dragging ? try adjusting them ? Is something rubbing ? check the tires.
How about wheel bearings ? are they in good shape ? are they to tight ?
The brakes aren't dragging for sure. No rubs that I have spotted. The tires are fine at the moment. The rear wheel bearings for sure are good, since they are brand new and came with the new axles. The fronts will be checked. The car does move when I stab it, so the converter in it may have a higher stall than I think it does, but there is only one way to find that out, and my neighbors might not like it.

threefortyduster said:
so the converter in it may have a higher stall than I think it does, but there is only one way to find that out, and my neighbors might not like it.
I'm sure a one time smokey burnout wil not be to bad:poke:
Hey you have to check it out.

onehellofadart said:
I'm sure a one time smokey burnout wil not be to bad:poke:
Hey you have to check it out.
Well, that will happen after I tune the motor and get all the lugnuts...

I just tested the car again, and it doesn't start moving until about 1450-1500 RPM with no brakes on. What should that mean the converter is, about 2100 RPM?

threefortyduster said:
Yes...it does it in both directions...Trans fluid is fine, that was checked before the car even started.

did you check the fluid with the car running after putting it in gear (forward and reverse) and check it in neutral cause there is a big difference in fluid levels after starting her up

My dad just said that its prob just the larger stall,he said that the tranny i hav now in my car (727 3800) didnt go till around 1500 or higher when it was behind his 340
MIKE

73Scamp said:
did you check the fluid with the car running after putting it in gear (forward and reverse) and check it in neutral cause there is a big difference in fluid levels after starting her up
Yep...I checked it while running...I have come to the conclusion that its probably just the converter...my dad said the one that was put in was better than stock, but he was unsure of how much better

get the kickdown linkage hooked up, driving without it may cause some major damage to it if your not having a manual valvebody!, the litle driving you have dont shouldnt be anything causing a meltdown but be careful..hope i helped

I've got the same problem with my 340 727 Duster.

Have you gotten the car up fast enough to shift into 2nd and 3rd? Mine won't go into 3rd. I adjusted the kick-down linkage and it helped some, but I'm still left with problems. My converter is 2500. It's my first non-stock one. But from what I've read, a "high stall" converter shouldn't change the drive characteristics of a car/tranny. It just allows you to hold on the brake and rev higher when you come off the line. Not sure on that, but that's what I've read. I'm no tranny guru.

Although a new rebuild, my tranny was sitting around for 2 years before I got it in, so my problem may be age-related.

Don't neglect hooking up the linkage. Shifting manually is no answer either. Hook it up.

-
Back