Car won't crank, Fusible link blown

-
What worries me here is it does not sound as if you found something specific. What do you think the actual cause was?
Yeaaah. We fixed two wires that were melted together, but were still reading a short in the system. We pulled the dash and cleaned up some of the wiring, nothing major though, and no more short.

Ensuring wiring is in good shape and an extinguisher isnt overkill.
Amazing the amount of damage that can happen in a very short period of time. 50 year old wiring is very brittle.
Been meaning to invest in one of those, it kinda seems like overkill, but I'd rather overkill it than watch the car burn to the ground

So I know this thread is kinda dead, but since I started it, I'm bringing it back. The car died while driving. I limped it home via the hotwire method. I spent the last couple days replacing some parts, none of which helped. Then I finally got my hands on a multimeter and figured out that voltage wasnt making it through the bulkhead connector. disconnected the connections around the bulkhead and ran a wire through another hole i have I have in the firewall, connected that to the ammeter and BAM, fired right up. Just wanted yall to know I actually fixed the problem instead of just ignoring it.

-
Back