car wont start in park

-

DusterBoy15

THE WISE(guy) MEMBER
Reaction score
ok so its never done this before. I try to start the car in park but it wont , but when i put it in N it starts. And if i let it warm up and then try to put it in Park and start it it works but not all the time. so i dont know what this could be

I'd start with linkage adjustments. Could be a hair off on the linkage travel and not ground the relay in park. If thats no good, then a new NSS

If its the 3 wire one on the side of the trans. Try flipping
the wire connector on the switch. You could possibly use the
other end of the switch. It worked for me one time. It got
me home.

duster work.gif

briankaplan said:
If its the 3 wire one on the side of the trans. Try flipping
the wire connector on the switch. You could possibly use the
other end of the switch. It worked for me one time. It got
me home.

I just keep a small jumper wire in my arsenal of 'get me home stuff' in my car. Jump the NSS terminal on the starter relay to a ground is all thats needed to bypass it. :thumbup:

My duster had the same problem.

It ended up being the slop in the worn out plastic grommets for the linkage. You can still get them cheap at the dealer.
Let us know how it goes, they are a real *&#^Q* to get popped in.

340 Dart said:
My duster had the same problem.

It ended up being the slop in the worn out plastic grommets for the linkage. You can still get them cheap at the dealer.
Let us know how it goes, they are a real *&#^Q* to get popped in.

what hes talking bout sorry. were is that located

If you look on the side of the transmission there is lever sticking out. Attached to this lever is a rod that goes through a hole in the lever and should have a cotter pin going through it. The hole in the lever should have a plastic grommet in it. This is the piece I am talking about.
If you follow your linkage on up you should find another place where 2 pieces attach together, you should have another grommet there.

If your gromets are old and worn (like mine were) it allows too much slop in the linkage and won't disengage the neutral safety switch.

My 84 Mustang is doing the exact same thing. Majority of the time it starts right up in park but it has occasional times when it wont start in park but when I put it in neutral is starts right up. I'm hoping its only the NSS.

-
Back