Car won't start: No lights, No cranking, Nothing

-

dmsween

Reaction score
A little background. I have my car stored down at a friends parents business. It's outside but under a large shed. Anyway went down to start it today and bring it home. I hooked up the positive battery cable and it fired over. I drove it probably 100 feet and shut it off to go inside and say hi to my friends dad. I came out and tried to start it back up and I got nothing. No crank, no headlights, no interior lights, nothing. I checked the wires going to the starter, which had voltage, battery was at 12.3 V, ground to the engine block was good.

I don't know whats going on and this kinda scares with the it not doing anything at all. All help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

My guess is that the fusible link is toast ... it is located in the engine compartment near the bulhead connectors ...

Near the bullhead connectors? Where is that? Is that near the firewall? That would be nice if it was just the fuse and I hope it is. Thanks, Dan

i also had this proublem once for me it was the connector at the firewall where the power go in to the interior it was all corroded

Had a similar problem with my car, most likely it is your bulkhead connector on the firewall. Try opening one of the doors and press on the bulkhead connector in various places and watch to see if your dome light comes on. Sometimes those "connections" become loose and you have no power. I tweaked mine around a bit and have not had any problems since. Good luck, probably something simple. Give it a try.

It was a loose connection on the power wire that comes off the battery. I found the fusible link and checked to see if I had voltage on the battery side and I didn't so I traced it back and found the bad connection.

Thanks to all for the ideas. Definitely helped checking the fusible link and tracing it back towards the battery.

Now I can try and fix the rear suspension connections, get some new wheels & tires and some small other things like wipers and get it inspected since that hasn't been done since '04.

Happy Easter to All and again thanks.

-
Back