Car Work Burn Out!

-

dodge freak

Reaction score
How many here kind of enjoy/don't mind working on their ride. After all its kind of like driving to the car wash or washing it yourself. Better off I feel to just do it yourself and can come out better, lol.

But my tranny needs to come out and it be much better than taking my sweet clean ride to that dirty shop and area..all that stinking traffic, etc. Yet this is day 3 and I have yet to do a single thing...oh I did twist the battery cable off, ha ha.

I totally agree with ya on that Dodge Freak. Sometimes I also lack the drive to work on my car as well. I bought a 60 amp alternator a month ago and it's still sitting in the box. I remember something I read once by Eric Clapton about playing guitar. He said "sometimes you have to put it down for a while and miss playing it. When you do pick it up again it seems new and wonderful". I find that rings pretty true with me and my hobbies as well.

Ya some times it is hard for me to get out there. Don't have the money to pay some one to do it for me though and even if I did they would not do it the way I wanted and I would have to go back and redo it any way.

I don't mind the work, just this damn heat... I welded on my valiants floorpans most of the day yesterday, Duh me I didn't wear a shirt again and my chest gotta' weldin' sunburn.. Summers around here are to hot, fall doesnt last long enough and winter is to cold to do ANYTHING...

Green hornet, I totally agree. Up here we just finished up with 2 straight weeks of upper 80's to low 90's with humidity in the 85% to 99% range. It really wears you down and you don't feel like doing a thing outside in that kind of weather. Maybe I'm just getting too old to handle that kind of heat.......LOL

Green hornet, I totally agree. Up here we just finished up with 2 straight weeks of upper 80's to low 90's with humidity in the 85% to 99% range. It really wears you down and you don't feel like doing a thing outside in that kind of weather. Maybe I'm just getting too old to handle that kind of heat.......LOL

Yep!!!! last week I tried working on the floorpans, 90++++ all I got done was sweat up 4-t shirts, so much sweat I couldnt see thru my safety glasses, so I said screw it until it cools off... When I was 14 I remember many times laying in the snow under a mopar putting headers on, changing a tranny, just whatever needed done... I'm gettin' old to bro... I need 70 degrees and shade to function ;)

Cuda..your in Westland, lol, my old area. I'm in Novi now.

I can't agree N.C. winters are too cold, ha at least you get a thaw every couple of weeks, we go two months straight under 35 degrees it seems. Even snow in early April.

I don't now, I looked again at it. 4 jackstands and me under it, yuk...and here I washed the garage three weeks back after I got the new motor done. Heck the trans was rebuilt last fall by a good place with hd stuff. His brother told me long ago to get a 727 and junk the 904 but noooo I couldn't listen.

Usually when I get burned out on a project.....any project, i work on something SMALL about that project. Seems that makes it more manageable. It's not so overwhelming. Gives me just as much sense of accomplishment completing a small task and most of the time cures my burnout.

I worked on my Duster almost daily all of July to get the engine swap done.I wasnt working so I woke up at 7AM,swigged some coffee,ate breakfast and I was out there at 9AM wrenching away.Not sure where everyone is at,but here in Colorado,the mornings are very cool and it would get hot about 1PM or so.As far as the heat,I just made sure I kept a small cooler outside with Gatorade and bottled water to stay hydrated and ignored it.But we went to Cali for vacation for a week and it felt good to get away from working on the car.I did yardwork when we got back and other chores but when I went to work on it again,I had a fresh relaxed mind about it.My goal is to get as much done as I can before winter.Sometimes R&R does wonders :profilel:

Isn't working and gets up at 7am, lol.

If I had a hoist it be much different. Dumb K Mart closed up years ago along with their auto bay, place sits rotting away, wish we could rent a bay with a hoist for a few days...that be so cool. But a few people would screw it all up and ruins it for everybody else

I don't mind the work, just this damn heat... I welded on my valiants floorpans most of the day yesterday, Duh me I didn't wear a shirt again and my chest gotta' weldin' sunburn.. Summers around here are to hot, fall doesnt last long enough and winter is to cold to do ANYTHING...

If I welded without a shirt on it would be like wearing a cashmere sweater welding, I would go up like a roman candle. :-D

Yeah safety is a biggie yet we tend to forget and wanna get the job finished. Can't count the number of times I hop under with just a floor jack under it. No more after seeing a fwd Buick roll backward and fall of my nice floor jack in like 2 seconds max...was pulling a wheel and thing just went....was like 3 years ago and still shakes me up cause I used to change the oil on it with no brake/weight in the back wheels..just before on other cars the jack would move with the car and like a 1/2 inch.

My "nice" Sears jack is 30 freaking years old by now :sign10:

Isn't working and gets up at 7am, lol.

If I had a hoist it be much different. Dumb K Mart closed up years ago along with their auto bay, place sits rotting away, wish we could rent a bay with a hoist for a few days...that be so cool. But a few people would screw it all up and ruins it for everybody else

Where are you located man? If you're sorta close, I'll load my cherry picker up and come give you a hand.

Yeah safety is a biggie yet we tend to forget and wanna get the job finished. Can't count the number of times I hop under with just a floor jack under it. No more after seeing a fwd Buick roll backward and fall of my nice floor jack in like 2 seconds max...was pulling a wheel and thing just went....was like 3 years ago and still shakes me up cause I used to change the oil on it with no brake/weight in the back wheels..just before on other cars the jack would move with the car and like a 1/2 inch.

My "nice" Sears jack is 30 freaking years old by now :sign10:

Back in my dumber days I'd crawl under one with a bent crank jack holding it up, I don't go under one now without jack stands...

Where are you located man? If you're sorta close, I'll load my cherry picker up and come give you a hand.

I thought about lifting the motor out but I used to just drop the trans out in 2 hours, seems less work to drop the trans and leave the motor and cooling system alone.

Nope, motor stays put...I either talk myself in to it once more or take it down and washed it twice afterward

I do not mind NC winters. Much better than Mass winters, but the heat here in N.C will knock a guy on his azz!!!! it's been like a broiler here for almost 2 1/2 months now with only snippets of relief here and there.

Well day number 4!

This is it, either its coming out today or the whole car is going across town. Called the shop up to see how busy they were, only has 3 bays, no answer on the 4th ring so I hung up.

This stinks getting old, I got less energy, guts--even money thanks to the unofficial depression the US is in, lol

My car is doing very well, it gets better with time while I degrade

Get it up on jack stands and us atleast get the driveshaft out and starter off today... No way I'd take it to a garage after all the carnage work i've seen around here lately, ya don't want it slap assed together and a drained bank account...

Well day number 4!

This is it, either its coming out today or the whole car is going across town. Called the shop up to see how busy they were, only has 3 bays, no answer on the 4th ring so I hung up.

This stinks getting old, I got less energy, guts--even money thanks to the unofficial depression the US is in, lol

I know exactly how ya feel, I've been stalling for over a year now taking a 383 out of this bus (yes guys someone put a 383 mopar in a 1960 chevy bus).. Over the past couple of weeks I've worked on it twice for a total of about 5 hours, now all I like is 5 bolds and I'm ready to pull it out... I had to take everything off the block to lighten it up..

attachment.php

I wounder how well an older newer hemi motor would do in a bus, ha ha.

I bet that 383 was 10+ years old, maybe closer to 20 years old when I was drop in that bus, bet it still was able to move the bus, lol

My plan is to lift the back up, pull the speedo gear to let the trans fluid drain, then while its draining pull the drive shaft and bolts for the rear mount.

Its afterward getting to me, I used to then rest the car on all four stands and drop the trans an hour later....just like yuk, seems dangerous....I will have the spare tire under the car too. More getting it back in then out.

It be just fine but...

Called the shop, he said he's swap busy but if its not out by Monday bring the car up and it get done that week.....so like I got 5 more days to do it...

Who's betting which way it get done, lol

I'm having the same sort of problem. I've been working 6-day, 60 hour, weeks since January (and I'm salary, so no OT pay). That gives me 1/2 a day a week to turn wrenches. I'm always beat, and the honey-do list never gets finished. It's really hard to get motivated to go out into the broiler when I know I can't start anything I can't finish in a few hours - gotta have it buttoned up to drive to work on Monday. I'm only 41, but I'm already looking forward to retirement, maybe when I'm 80 I'll have time and money together at last!

-
Back