Carb belching out fuel...

-

Bender

Reaction score
So, I started up my Barracuda today to do a little tinkering and noticed when I popped the hood that the carb is pumping fuel out of a line that seems to be severed. I know nothing about these engines as of yet but this doesn't seem right...

2011-08-07_15-14-55_925.jpg

It's the rubber hose with the blue tip in the photo. Anyone know what this is supposed to be hooked up to?

Thanks

I'm having trouble identifying the carb on your car. This what we're looking at is a '73-up intake manifold and choke thermostat (minus choke heater modulator, so I'm guessing it's a later engine in an earlier car), and looks like a 1981-up carburetor with mixture control solenoid, but the choke pull-off looks like a 1964 type. May we see a couple more photos of the carb, from different angles?

That said, it looks like that is probably the bowl vent line, which on a '72-up car would've been connected to the "CARB" or "BOWL" port on the charcoal canister in the right front corner of the engine bay, and on a '71 (+'70 California) car would've been connected to an extra nipple on the crankcase breather. When carbs with ducted bowl vents are installed on earlier cars originally equipped with unducted bowl vents, the bowl vent is left open and uncapped as appears to be the case in this photo. If you are seeing liquid fuel coming out this line, then your carb is flooding; the inlet needle and seat are faulty or the float is sunk.

Thanks for the reply. I was also thinking it may be a float issue, but I didn't know. I have never been inside an auto carb, just small motorcycle carbs but I have dealt with float issues on those. I'll take some more photos tomorrow and post them up, and look for any nomenclature on the carb. I know the motor is from a later model, and I'll call the seller and see if he has the details on that. Thanks again for the help!

Here are some additional photos. I couldn't find any markings on the carb that indicate a model or manufacturer.

2011-08-07_18-52-01_746.jpg

2011-08-07_18-52-18_123.jpg

2011-08-07_18-52-29_296.jpg

Carb is a Holley 6280, feedback version of the 2280. Used on '85-up 318s in M-bodies and trucks. There are much (much much much much) better choices; they run poorly even when everything is all hooked up and present in an original application; even worse when the feedback system and assorted other original components are absent. You will save yourself a great deal of aggravation and your car will run a lot better if you will swap on a non-feedback carb -- almost any non-feedback carb.

What is the best option for a replacement? Money is not really an issue, but I would like something that works with my intake manifold.

-
Back